First yard bird smoke in my new 6 rack digital

Started by Z7extreme, November 02, 2013, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z7extreme

I bought two chickens and brined them for eight hours in one gallon apple juice, one cup kosher salt,3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup of honey. I used the brine recipe I found here. Forgive me as I could not for the life of me find who's it was to give credit to. Anyhow I smoked the birds with apple for five hours till they reached 160.
    They were awesome!!!! My wife  and I both agreed that was the most moist flavorful chicken we had ever eaten. The skin could have been better. Next time I'll crisp em up in the oven or the grill. I plan on buying a turkey next to practice before my thanksgiving turkey with the family. I was thinking of smoking the turkey for five or six hours then finishing it in a deep fryer. Has this been done before? Will the apple juice and sugar in the brine be ok for frying after the smoke? I wanted to ad a picture but stupid me couldn't figure it out.

devo

QuoteI was thinking of smoking the turkey for five or six hours then finishing it in a deep fryer.

I have never done it but those that have say it looses the smoke flavor. Can't say for sure.

QuoteWill the apple juice and sugar in the brine be ok for frying after the smoke?

NO throw it out.

QuoteI wanted to add a picture but stupid me couldn't figure it out.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768

Saber 4

That looks like smokehouse rob's recipe, I just used it on some turkey legs with the addition of cure #1 so I could get the old fashioned cured smoked turkey taste and it worked out great. As for your questions about frying I'll defer to those that have done it before.

Habanero Smoker

The apple cider and sugars in the brine may darken the color of the turkey, after it has been deep fried. Some have reported an almost black color, but the taste was still good. Maybe you should do a practice run with a roaster chicken.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ssherman

I just did a pullet as well and it turned out great.  I used a whole chicken and glazed it with a mixture of butter and Jamaican Jerk hot sauce from T. Mudder.  I added plenty of black pepper and put it on the Bradley @250° for about 4.5 hours.  The result was about the best chicken I have ever tasted.  That's what she said too.  Thank you Bradley for improving my sex life. 
What is the ground drag coefficient of an unhusked turtle?