Beer Slim Jim Recipe

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 05, 2013, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Here is one of my slim jim recipes i found on my ipad.

For 10 lbs, If you want 5 lbs just cut in half.

10 lbs ground chuck
1.5 cups nfpdm
4 T kosher salt
2 t cure 1
2 T brown sugar (light or dark your choice)
4 T paprika
1.5 T Ames Phos (retains moisture) OPT
1 Heaping T ground black pepper
2 t garlic granules
2 t marjoram
2 t nutmeg
2 t chipotle powder
16 oz yuengling beer

Mix cure into meat, add the dry and mix well. Add the beer, mix well. Put meat in zip lock and fridge overnight before stuffing. Smoke in your normal way.

Sailor

Another secret that has been revealed straight out of the vault  ;D  Thanks Rick

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ragweed

Saber 4

Thanks Rick, copied and saved.

UncleAl

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

Rick I see in most of your recipes you use non fat dry milk. Do you like that better than soy protein concentrate? If so why? If SPC is a binder plus gives protein why not use that?

watchdog56

NePaSmoKer

I use both.

nfpdm give a better taste, spc is kinda bland.

If you put a tad to much salt in your mix you can use nfpdm to hide the salt.

watchdog56

would the amounts be the same in the recipes?

dirt1008

Appreciate it NePa. BTW I love Yuengling

josbocc

OK Rick, another acronym needs hearing from...

Ames PHOS?

Everytime I try any type of "slim jim" recipe, it turns out dry.  Switched from pork loin to pork shoulder and had better results..., but still dry.  If there is some type of "magical" NePAS ingredient that helps retain moisture, I need to get me some.

As Always, Many Thanks,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Gafala

Quote from: josbocc on January 08, 2014, 04:18:40 PM
OK Rick, another acronym needs hearing from...

Ames PHOS?

Everytime I try any type of "slim jim" recipe, it turns out dry.  Switched from pork loin to pork shoulder and had better results..., but still dry.  If there is some type of "magical" NePAS ingredient that helps retain moisture, I need to get me some.

As Always, Many Thanks,

Jeff

Here is your answer I think.

http://store.theingredientstore.com/amesphos.aspx
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

josbocc

Thanks Gafala.  Just looked your link, and I believe that might help my "dry slim jim" issue.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Ames Phosphate

Or TSP (FOOD GRADE)

SODIUM TRI POLY PHOSPHATE (Also Known As SODIUM PHOSPHATE) is a food grade phosphate that is used with meat products to help in the retention of moisture and soluble proteins. Sodium Tripolyphosphate is compatible with all curing ingredients such as nitrites, nitrates, sugar, salt and ascorbic acid or its derivative, sodium erythorbate

USAGE REQUIREMENTS: The maximum amount of phosphate permitted by the USDA is no more than .5% to be retained by the meat in the finished product.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Dissolve the sodium phosphate in water using the recipe below, to produce the .5% limit suggested in the guidelines. Use 8 Oz. per 100 lb. of meat.

EXAMPLE: For 100 lb. of sausage use the following recipe.
Meat 100.00 lb.
Water / Ice 4.00 lb. (2 quarts)
Sodium Tripolyphosphate ½ lb. (1 and 1/2 cups)
If you are pumping meat, such as brisket, with the solution, weight the meat and then weigh the phosphate (using the ½ lb. per 100 lb. of meat ratio) and add that amount of phosphate to the water.

Example: For A 10% pump for 25 lb. of meat you would need 2.5 lb. of water and 2 oz. of phosphate.
NOTE: The water may be tap water if necessary to dissolve the phosphate, but the water with phosphate solution
should be ice water cold when actually used with the meat. Try dissolving the phosphate in a small amount of
the water with the remaining water being ice water.

I use distilled water.

Note: You dont always need AP