First smoked cheese. Yuck what did I do wrong?

Started by Z7extreme, November 05, 2013, 06:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moosehumper

Is it the smoke that makes it last in the fridge?
Does it not get mouldy?

Moosehumper

Vent open? Half? Or closed to smoke cheese?
This is my tomorrow project.
It's very cold outside (-26)so temp shouldn't get too hot.

Saber 4

Quote from: Moosehumper on December 07, 2013, 03:22:12 PM
Vent open? Half? Or closed to smoke cheese?
This is my tomorrow project.
It's very cold outside (-26)so temp shouldn't get too hot.

Vent open all the way for most if not all smoking otherwise the smoke and moisture can back up into the smoke generator and cause problems and you risk the dreaded black rain on your product. Use your smoke generator only no heating element on.

I believe that smoking is an old world preserving method and that is probably why it lasts longer in the fridge.

Snoopy

i can't help but laugh a little, with you, not at you, because of done it twice. this last time it was feta, it just looked so good i couldn't resist, and now its been vac sealed and in the fridge/freezer for 3 weeks so far. smoked cheese is like a good wine, just gotta give it time.

Snoopy

oh and to share an idea on labeling, i did a decent batch this last time and went into Excel and made a grid of labels with type of cheese and dates. cut em up and  slid it into the vac bag before sealing and i don't have to worry about it rubbing off

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on December 07, 2013, 03:50:00 PM
oh and to share an idea on labeling, i did a decent batch this last time and went into Excel and made a grid of labels with type of cheese and dates. cut em up and  slid it into the vac bag before sealing and i don't have to worry about it rubbing off

I picked up an old box of Avery 5163 peel off printer labels from my wife's work and downloaded the template and use that for my labels. On cheese you can peel and stick right on the bag on top of the cheese and on other stuff I put it on the bottom part of the bag where I vacuum sealed.

pokermeister

Done cheese several times. I use a Sharpie to write cheese type and smoke date on wrapper, I found that this is the fastest way. On softer cheese like cream cheese, it has been ready in 2 weeks. Velveeta takes about 3, and cheeses like swiss, mozzarella, pepper jack, Cheddar, colby-jack, etc. will start to turn after 26 days, and be great in 28  days. Very hard cheeses can take 6 weeks. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Moosehumper

I just got it all wrapped and in the fridge.
It was hard to resist the temptation but I also did a dozen eggs to make smoke devils 8).

Gouda, mozzarella & 2 different cheddars.
I had no problems keeping the temperature down. - 20C outside.
My inside temp maxed out at 58F.