Mailing cheese

Started by Shasta bob, November 08, 2013, 06:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

I am wishing to send some cheese through the mail for family members, any help and information on the subject. I have not seen any topics on this. Thanks in advance. Shasta bob
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

ragweed

I'm planning to do the same thing.  I've shipped summer sausage before, frozen, with no ice packs or dry ice and it arrived (3 days) just fine.  Still cool.  I'm planning to ship the cheese with a couple of ice packs.  Should be okay.  I hope!!

Saber 4

The only thing I can add is that if you use ice packs the shipping container has to be completely sealed and enclosed in another container so that no evaporation or condensation can dampen the outer packaging, I found this out on the USPS website when I was going to ship some cheese to my Dad for his birthday but I ran out of time to get an appropriate container so I sent him a bunch of sauces and will take the cheeses at Christmas time in a cooler.

squirtthecat

If you can get your hands on a small Omaha Steaks foam cooler, that will do the trick.  You'll want to pack some other frozen stuff in there to keep it cold.

Tip:  If you are shipping this via UPS, they'll ding you with an extra fee if that cooler isn't placed inside of another cardboard box.

Sailor

Disclaimer.....I am not a cheese expert!

Experience.....I have shipped smoked cheese that has been vac sealed using 3 day priority without using an insulated cooler or cold packs.  Just packed the vac sealed cheese in a box and gave it to the post office and off it went.  Cheese arrived in great shape and no complaints from my Brother.  Last Christmas the package got lost and it was 7 days before he got it and the cheese was just fine.

No scientific information.....just my own deductive thinking.  Cheese has been made for thousands of years without refrigeration.  Most cheese wheels are dipped in wax and allowed to age for years without refrigeration.  From what I have read is that the hard cheeses do very well without refrigeration.  I think the trick is to keep the air off it.  Velveeta is sold in tight foil in a box and is on the shelf.

At any rate, I have shipped Cheddar, pepper jack, Colby, Colby Jack and Gouda that have been vac sealed.  It all arrived in perfect condition without having any type of refrigeration.

Not saying it is safe to do this or that your cheese will be fine.  Just saying that I have shipped it without any ill effects.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Saber 4

Quote from: Sailor on November 08, 2013, 11:56:59 AM
Disclaimer.....I am not a cheese expert!

Experience.....I have shipped smoked cheese that has been vac sealed using 3 day priority without using an insulated cooler or cold packs.  Just packed the vac sealed cheese in a box and gave it to the post office and off it went.  Cheese arrived in great shape and no complaints from my Brother.  Last Christmas the package got lost and it was 7 days before he got it and the cheese was just fine.

No scientific information.....just my own deductive thinking.  Cheese has been made for thousands of years without refrigeration.  Most cheese wheels are dipped in wax and allowed to age for years without refrigeration.  From what I have read is that the hard cheeses do very well without refrigeration.  I think the trick is to keep the air off it.  Velveeta is sold in tight foil in a box and is on the shelf.

At any rate, I have shipped Cheddar, pepper jack, Colby, Colby Jack and Gouda that have been vac sealed.  It all arrived in perfect condition without having any type of refrigeration.

Not saying it is safe to do this or that your cheese will be fine.  Just saying that I have shipped it without any ill effects.

Makes sense when you consider smoking is an ancient method of preserving/prolonging shelf life of perishable foods.

RedJada

Been here almost a year now and I seen this question come up several times. Mostly around the holiday season, last year and now. And a few in between. Just thinking if maybe there should be a sticky on shipping cheese and other smoked goods. Just some guide lines on how to package or something like that. Personally I haven't shipped anything like this but I'm sure a lot of people here have that could add some good input on what to do or what not to do. What do you think?

deldeini

Thats really cool idea. Recently send some through USPS>