Cleaning the stainless steel Bradley

Started by asurber, June 04, 2006, 10:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asurber

What is the best way and how clean should the inside be? I just did a quick wipe on the three sides but had a lot of black crusty stuff on the back, especially just above the heating element. Without removing the heat shield there was a lot of the loose black stuff that would be right next to the element after I scraped it off.

nsxbill

Inside, I leave it alone.  I clean the door seal area, and remove the vent at top and clean it.  I wipe below the door, and let the unit season. If I see thick buildup inside, I wipe with soap and water only.  The outside of the unit is cheap cheap cheap stainless steel. Simply using a stainless steel cleaner will leave you a surface prone to rust, despite it being stainless steel...it stains.  I have two of these SS smokers, and before I knew it would be a problem, I tried to clean outside of the unit I use most.  I won't do that with the other one.  Just follow instructions on cleaning outside with water and mild soap to keep it looking good.

Am I disappointed in the stainless not being stainless.  Yes, it pisses me off.  A better grade of Stainless could be used instead of the cheap Chinese one step above plain steel on this unit.  It would improve the unit substantially.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

manxman

Yes, in the main leave it alone as nxsbill says. Occasionally some of the black crud starts to peel off and I just use a paint brush to brush the flaky bits off so they don't end up falling on the food during a smoke.

I also use the paint brush to get rid of any bits of food that may have gotten around the heater element.

The only place I clean inside from time to time is up around the smoke vent, i have found if it builds up there excessively when it gets hot during a smoke blobs of black crud have dripped down on the food which looks a bit unsightly.

Also clean the vent and the door seal as nxsbill suggests.

I wipe the exterior of my SS model over with a damp cloth and mild soap then a wipe over with a clean dry cloth. I then use a small amount of light lubricating oil on a cloth to wipe it over to preserve the finish, not bothered about the cosmetic appearance rather than the fact the SS really is the cheapest possible and I want to prevent it going rusty.

18 months into owning my SS BS and no sign of rust so far.
Manxman

asurber

Thank you for the replies, clears it right up!