temperature too high while cold smoking.

Started by mph80599, November 11, 2013, 09:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mph80599

I have just used my Bradley smoker for the first time to cold smoke, but I found the temperature kept creeping up.
How can I keep it down to cold smoke safely?

devo

Try using a container of ice to keep the temp down and you can also crack the door open a bit. The amount of smoke you will lose will not be enough to matter.

beefmann

ragweed

I have a couple of ice packs (polar-packs) that just fit in a Bradley rack.  I put them each in a zip lock bag.  That way, they don't get smoky and I can reuse them.  If that doesn't keep the temp down, I crack the door like Devo .  Sometimes I even "fan" with the door to get the heat out.  The smoke recovers quickly.

tskeeter

mph, depending on how often you are going to be cold smoking, it may be worth buying or making a cold smoke adapter for your smoker.  Essentially, a cold smoke adapter is a container that you move your smoker generator to.  Then gets the heat from the smoke generator away from your smoker cabinet.  The container that your smoke generator is attached to, then is connected to your smoker cabinet by flexible dryer duct.  The separate smoke container and the dryer duct help cool the smoke before it gets to your smoker cabinet.

Bradley sells a cold smoke adapter set up for their smokers.  Check out the web site and see what they look like.

Or, you can assemble a DIY cold smoke adapter.  The smoke container can be almost anything that won't transfer flavor to your smoke.  Things I've seen used include a cardboard box (be careful about the heat issues with the puck burner), a large mail box, custom fabricated steel boxes, and a variety of other smoke containment devices.  Some folks have even used the smoker cabinet as the smoke container, and used a cardboard box set on top of their smoker as their smoking chamber to separate the smoke from the heat source.

RedJada

Are you using just the smoke generator? Ice is your best friend if you don't have a cold smoke attachment. I find a block of ice works best for me. Buts that in in the summer.

Saber 4

You can also start earlier in the morning when outside temps are lower, that's what I have to do until I get the cold smoke adapter.

tailfeathers

I fill half gallon milk jugs 3/4 full of water and freeze them, put 1 or 2 in the drip tray when it's warm out. Lots cheaper than a cold smoke adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!