Some help needed with a 'cheats' Pastrami, please.

Started by ChubbyBadnews, November 11, 2013, 09:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubbyBadnews

Hi all.

I am happy to say that I will soon be opening a small deli here in Dublin. It's going to have a simple sandwich menu aswell as some good healthy salads.

I would really like to make my own Pastrami from scratch but am a bit worried about the amount of time the whole process can take, ie from brine to finished cooked pastrami. I just dont think I will have the time (at the start anyway) to make it.

I thought if I could cut out the brining time and just rub a piece of corned beef witht the spices and go from there.

So thats what I have done.

I went to my local butcher and got a small piece of silver side corned beef. Took it home and proceeded to apply the rub.
The rub consists of pepper, salt, garlic powder, ground coriander and whole coriander seeds.

I then wrapped it tight in cling and it is at home in the fridge.

I forgot to say that I rubbed a little mustard on it so the rub would stick.

My question is, Has anyone done it this way before? Also, how do you think I should cook it?

I was thinking of simmering it while its still wrapped in cling for about 5 hours or do you think it would be best to smoke it?

When I decide which way i'm going to cook it I will post the results here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

All hail the pig... hom nom nom

cathouse willy

A deli that serves it's own pastrami would certainly interest me. However it would be very disappointing to find out that Chubbies home made pastrami was really a fixed up store bought corned beef. The brining process is long but takes very little time at each step,vacuum bagged the pastrami freezes very well and lasts for many months. Pastrami is smoked and then steamed where as corned beef is probably not smoked. I'd go with making your own from scratch,make it in large batches and freeze it in manageable sizes,out of the freezer bag and into the steamer.Just my 2cents Good luck on your new Deli
Cathouse

ChubbyBadnews

Hi Willy.
I completely take your ponit. I will be looking into doing it from scratch for sure. It's just that I'll be doing all the cooking myself and just feel that making pastrami from scratch might be taking on a bit to much for the start.

But, As you say.. I'm just resting it in brine for a few days so tecnically its not all that much work.

Im still going to be interested in the corned beef with pastrami spices.

What exactly is the difference between corned beef and pastrami? I know corned beef doesn't have a spice rub. Is it a difference in the brine? different cut of beef?

I'm a bit confused  :-\

cathouse willy

NorthShoreMN

Pastrami is corned beef that has been spiced and smoked.  I made two from pre-made corned beef a week ago.. According to those who destroyed the end product it was very good. 
Took commercial corned beef right out of pkg washed it covered with CYM and pepper,coriander , crushed juniper berries garlic powder.  Sat 24 hrs, then in smoker with Apple/hickory  3 hrs smoke total 5 hrs in
Smoker.  Wrapped in foil overnight then steamed it next day IT 185.

Currently have 20 lbs brisket in brine barrel to do from scratch.  Will try to remember photos of these.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

beefmann

having a  good brine / wet cure makes a  huge difference, which can be done in  4 or  5  days,,, also as  long as 7 days depending  on the  meat,, then along  with a good rub you cant go wrong,

here are  two wet cures

APPLE CIDER  HONEY CURE II      APPLE JUICE CURE
1   GAL   APPLE CIDER
3   OZ   INSTA CURE # 1
¼   CUP   HONEY
1   CUP   BROWN SUGAR
¼   CUP   MOLASSES
2   TBSP   GROUND ALL SPICE
3   TBSP   BLACK PEPPER
1   TBSP   GROUND CLOVES
1   TBSP   ONION POWDER
1   TBSP   GARLIC POWDER

APPLE CIDER CURE      
1   GAL.   APPLE CIDER
3   OZ   INSTA CURE # 1
1   CUP   BROWN SUGAR
4   TBSP   ONION POWDER
4   TBSP   GARLIC POWDER
3   TBSP   GROUND PEPPER

and a  pastrami rub

RUB PASTRAMI RUB      
4   TBSP   PAPRIKA
4   TBSP   GROUND MUSTARD
3   TBSP   BLACK PEPPER
3   TBSP   CHILI POWDER
3   TBSP   MSG
2   TBSP   WYLERS CHICKEN GRANULES
2   TBSP   CELERY SALT
2   TBSP   SALT
2   TBSP   GARLIC POWDER
2   TBSP   ONION POWDER
1   TBSP   CAYENNE POWDER
1   TBSP   CHIPOTLE CHILI POWDER
1   TBSP   GROUND OREGANO
1   TBSP   GROUND THYME
1   TBSP   GROUND SAGE

hope this helps

KyNola

CBN, I have made pastrami exactly the way you are doing it many times.  As my friend Paul said a "traditional" pastrami is simply a piece of corned beef that has a pastrami spice rub applied and then smoked. It is not technically necessary to brine a brisket in order to corn it.  Here is a link to Habs's pastrami.  I have followed this recipe many times with great success.  You'll see that he provides instructions for both a dry rub to corn the beef as well as a brine.  He also provides a recipe for the pastrami rub and instructions on how to smoke it and steam it.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?157-Beef-Pastrami

By the way I have also made pastrami from turkey breast too.  Delicious.

ragweed

These guys have you covered.  Congrats on your new venture!!

ChubbyBadnews

Love this place!!

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone. Just home now and it's late so straight to be for me.

Will go trough all the post in detail in the morn.

Thanks again, much appreciated

tskeeter

Cubby, great to hear about you new business venture.  Hope to visit your shop on my next trip and sample your wares!  What part of Dublin will I be finding you in?

DW and I talk about moving to Ireland for six months to a year after we put an end to this working for a living stuff.  Might you be able to use a smoking and brining assistant in a couple of years?

ChubbyBadnews

Hiya Tskeeter and thanks for your good wishes!
The deli will be on Parnell st. on the north side of dublin. Its quite central actually.

You would be welcome anytime!!

:)

tskeeter

Quote from: ChubbyBadnews on November 11, 2013, 05:19:46 PM
Hiya Tskeeter and thanks for your good wishes!
The deli will be on Parnell st. on the north side of dublin. Its quite central actually.

You would be welcome anytime!!

:)

Would that be to the east, or to the west of O'Connell St.?

ChubbyBadnews

Walk up O'Connell to Parnell st and take a right. I'll be about 100 meters on your right. 147 Deli  :)

NorthShoreMN

Chubby, I forgot to mention, when you smoke and then steam the meat there will be a fair amount of shrinkage. 
Paul
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

ChubbyBadnews

Yo, Northshore.. Thanks for the tips.

I only got a small piece to test. If it works I will be getting a much bigger piece.