Smoked Cooper-N-Bacon

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 13, 2013, 08:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

ragweed

I had trouble finding it anywhere near Nebraska so I called Schreiber Foods, the manufacturer.  They directed me to Cuba Cheese.  I can buy it there cheaper than what I found on Ebay including shipping.  (cubacheese.com)  If you live in Pennsylvania just go to about any G-store.  Otherwise, check coopercheese.com and use their store locator function.  I think it's great cheese and worth the trouble I had getting it.

watchdog56

Then do you just cold smoke like normal and let sit for 3 weeks?

pensrock

I normally smoke the cheese first, let it rest. Then melt it and add the other things. But you should be able to do it the other way depending on what you are adding to the cheese. You do not want it to go bad while waiting for the cheese to mellow out.

Saber 4

Quote from: STLstyle on February 17, 2014, 06:53:51 PM
Where do you get cooper at?

If you know someone with access to a Commissary they usually have it.

cobra6223

This just may be the fix for my bacon post. Thanks Rick for the pics, it looks very good.

sage03

What did you do with the "cheese cups" once you were done "resting them " ?????

pensrock

QuoteWhat did you do with the "cheese cups" once you were done "resting them " ?????
Ummmm..... you cut them up and eat them. Boy are they good.  :)

pensrock

Quote from: pensrock on February 21, 2014, 06:40:23 AM
QuoteWhat did you do with the "cheese cups" once you were done "resting them " ?????

They do not have to be cups, that is what he had to use as a mold so that is what he used. I like to use mini loaf pans but anything will work.  :)

Saber 4

Quote from: pensrock on February 21, 2014, 06:40:23 AM

They slice and melt on burgers and such real nicely!

sage03

blokie

Hi guys, anybody up here in Ontario try this yet?  If so, what did you substitute for the Cooper.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

KyNola

I'm not in Ontario but any good quality cheddar cheese can be substituted.  You could also do it with gouda, Colby, etc.  Many different hard cheeses would work.

pensrock

Just want to point something out so there are no misunderstandings. Cooper Sharp is a Sharp American cheese. It tastes different than normal American cheeses but I would think and good American cheese would work well to substitute. Many people see Cooper Sharp and think it is a cheddar but it is not. And you can also try mixing another cheese in with it. Sharp Cheddar is great smoked but if melted it may get gritty unless it is mixed with something else. Like in a cheddar sauce you can mix in milk to keep it smooth. I have not melted a lot of cheddar as is but did not want someone to melt a five pound block and not be happy with the results. I would try to do a smaller piece first and see how it comes out. I would not be afraid to try mixing American and some shredded cheddar and see how it works out.
  There may be a better way to melt the cheddar to get smooth results and I'm, no expert I just know what works for me. Experiment a little you may be surprised in what you come up with. :)

KyNola

Oops! Sorry, Pens is absolutely right. I wasn't thinking correctly. Pens smokes tons of cheese. Take his advice, he knows of which he speaks.

Sorry Greg.