Which turkey roaster?

Started by renoman, November 14, 2013, 03:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

Which turkey roaster are you guys using for your water baths?

ragweed

Hamilton Beach 18 qt.  Reostat temp control keeps temp within a degree or two.

beefmann

has the rival 22 quart,,, great  roaster  with  plenty of  heat,,, 1450 watts of power,,,

Saber 4

How deep is your roaster? The one's I'm seeing for sale this year are real shallow, they claim to be 18-24 quart but they are only about 5-6" deep with tall domed lids to cover the turkey so I'm leery of having enough room to get the water to temp and still have room to add enough sausage to accomplish the mission. Sorry to hijack your thread renoman, been meaning to ask this but kept forgetting until I saw this.

renoman

Quote from: ragweed on November 14, 2013, 03:40:40 PM

Ragweed, What are the inside dimensions of that roaster? I am looking at the 22 quart model but would like it to double as a buffet tray when needed and I believe that option only comes with the 18 quart model. How many pounds of sausage can you get in it and can you keep the temp low enough?

ragweed

Quote from: renoman on November 14, 2013, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: ragweed on November 14, 2013, 03:40:40 PM

Ragweed, What are the inside dimensions of that roaster? I am looking at the 22 quart model but would like it to double as a buffet tray when needed and I believe that option only comes with the 18 quart model. How many pounds of sausage can you get in it and can you keep the temp low enough?

12 x 17 x 6 deep.  I poach small batches.  Two 5 lb chubs of bologna, 9 lbs SS (four chubs) or ten lbs of dogs or sausage.  No problem with temp control.  Once adjusted to 160 F, it stays there.  Only takes about 1/2 hr to get the temp right.

devo

I use my PID to control the temp. It should be noted that I have the plug & play Model: WSD-1503CPH. It is rated for a full 1800 watts. Most roasters are around 1400-1600 W and the cheaper plug & play PID will not handle the wattage.