Rhum Punch

Started by barbquebec, November 15, 2013, 04:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbquebec

...juice of 2 limes
...simple sugar...bring 1 cup dark brown sugar and 1 cup water to a boil...stir until sugar has dissolved
...2 tbsps grenadine
...2 tsps angostura bitters
...12.5 oz dark rhum
Combine ingredients and store in a cool dark place for 1 month...serve in an 8oz glass over ice and enjoy  :)
8)

Quarlow

Sounds good but what does storing it do for it?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

barbquebec

...develops the flavour a lot more,Quarlow...I always have 3 jars on the go... 8)

Quarlow

I think I need to try this....no... I know I need to try this. And please call me "Q".
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

seb bot

Hey barbquebec, just wanted to mention I made up a batch of this back in November, shared it over Christmas with my dad and sister and it was enjoyed by all!

I tried a little taste just after mixing, and I wasn't too sure about it. After letting everything rest for a good spell the taste really improved, all the flavours kind of combined into one, I will definitely make again.

Thanks for sharing,
seb bot

Dano

No other citrus juices outside of the lime eh?  I've had it with OJ added into it and it was fantastic...curious to see how this one stacks up to the punches from the Indies.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

oguard

Angostura bitters, where can I find them?

Thanks
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Little Bear Game Farm

Most liquor stores around here sell it.  It is what you add to an old fashion when you make it the old fashion way (no mix).  I'm wondering if the taste of this somewhat has the old fashion flavor?  May need to try this.  Thanks!

oguard

Thanks Little Bear.
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Dano

Here the liquor stores don't sell Angostura Bitters, but they do sell other types/brands.  If you want the Angostura brand(tastes like Christmas fruitcake and great for Manhattans) I found that Zehrs and Sobeys do carry them.  I thought that odd given that bitters is 100 proof but they are readily available at those two grocers here in S.Ontario.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

barbquebec

Quote from: seb bot on January 03, 2014, 07:00:26 PM
Hey barbquebec, just wanted to mention I made up a batch of this back in November, shared it over Christmas with my dad and sister and it was enjoyed by all!

I tried a little taste just after mixing, and I wasn't too sure about it. After letting everything rest for a good spell the taste really improved, all the flavours kind of combined into one, I will definitely make again.

Thanks for sharing,
seb bot
Happy to hear it was enjoyed by all seb bot.Cheers! 8)

Quarlow

So here's my crack at this. The players:

The simple syrup.

The lime, Angostura Bitters and Grenadine.

And here comes the party.

Into the fridge for 4 WEEKS, damn I don't think I can wait that long. LOL

Next batch I am going to try using Spiced Rum and maybe lemons instead of Limes.

OBS
BBQ

barbquebec

Quote from: Quarlow on January 18, 2014, 04:54:23 PM
Next batch I am going to try using Spiced Rum and maybe lemons instead of Limes.
...let us know how that turns out...cheers! 8)

iceman

Looks like a winner to me!  :P  :)

Quarlow

Took a couple spoonfuls of it after mixing and it seem like it was stronger than a shot of rum. Not sure why that would be, maybe the combo of ingredients or something. Had to ask myself why I was waiting a month, lol, It is pretty tasty now. Hope it is ten times better in 4 weeks. I will report if I can type after several large samples.  :o

OBS
BBQ