Help with cooking ribs and chicken at the same time

Started by Iowabucks, November 17, 2013, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowabucks

have started on 2 full racks of ribs and two complete spatchcocked chickens. Plan on having a feast tonight with plenty of leftovers. I am using the 3+2+1  method.

I have the Bradley Original Smoker with the 2 element mod and the Auber controller.

I'm coming up on the 3 hour mark with the ribs and getting ready to add the chicken. I'm not worried about how the skin comes out.

The question i have is when i add the chicken, should i put those racks towards the top or bottom? Should i be worried about drippings from the chicken onto the ribs ?

At 225 degrees i figured the ribs should work out with the 3+2+1 method. Maybe add the chicken for the last 3 hours, and hopefully they will be done at close to the same time. This sound about right? Would cooking that much meat at the same time take longer even if the Auber keeps the temps at 225 degrees?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jerry.

GusRobin

you should be fine as far as temp with the 2nd element and PID.
I would put the chicken below the ribs. I don't have any scientific data, I just don't feel comfortable with chicken dripping on other meat.
Keep the vent wide open as chicken adds a lot of moisture.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Iowabucks

I think I lost my second element somehow. The switch is not lighted up and the temps seem to be hovering around 200 degrees.

I will have to check this out sometime after i'm done with this smoke.

GusRobin

did you check out all the plugs? Have you used this before ? If not, are you sure the switch is wired correctly?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Iowabucks

Yes, I have used it twice.
I didn't realize you had to have the smoke generator switch on for the second element to have power.

At least that seems to be the way it is working right now.

I turned the smoke generator back on and the second element switch would come on occationally to get it back up to temp.

Probably just something I have to learn to realize.

GusRobin

what version do you have? Old OBS? new OBS? or digital?

Iowabucks

Old OBS with the 2nd element mod. With the temp sensor wired in too.

GusRobin

How do you have the plugs running? with the newer dual PID, the PID is plugged into the wall, a plug runs from the PID to the Cabinet, and a plug runs from the PID to the SG.
With the 2nd element mod with on off switch, you should be able to run your elements without the SG being turned on if it is plugged as above.

TedEbear

Quote from: Iowabucks on November 17, 2013, 02:50:48 PM
I didn't realize you had to have the smoke generator switch on for the second element to have power.

:o  You don't...unless you wired the second element downstream of the SG on/off power switch.