Turkey Time

Started by Bdogggut34, November 17, 2013, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdogggut34

I've read alot of Turkey threads the past few days but am still having trouble understanding an approximate time.  My plan is to smoke in my BDS for 2 hours at the highest temp I can get it which for a 13lb Turkey will probably be about 220-230. I then want to take it into the inside oven and cook at about 400-425 to IT of 165 and to help crisp skin.

How much time should I allow to cook due to the different temperatures and such? 

Saber 4

You've got a good plan but the bird has the final word on when it's done and how long it takes so start earlier than you think you need to so you won't miss your dinner time. Even growing up my granny always said be here by noon and we'll eat when the bird is done and she always got the sides started when the bird was looking close and then she finished them up while the turkey rested for carving. Sorry I can't give you an "X" amount of time answer maybe someone else has the confidence or experience to do so but there are so many opinions out there and that's probably why you've read so many posts and can't come up with a definitive answer. You can always make life easier on yourself and get an extra one same size and do a trial run which would give you a ball park idea of how long and extra turkey to eat and that ain't a bad thing either. Happy Smoking to you.

pokermeister

Last year, with a 12.5 # bird, Jans rub; I smoked it for 3 hours apple, and then cooked it in NOBS for 7 more hours to IT of 167. Thirty minutes in oven to finish, and it was one of the best turkeys we have ever had. Bradley temp was 247 when bird was removed. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

devo

I have seen a lot of posts and also have done a 12lb. turkey in 6 hours @ 230 degrees F from start to finish. So with that being said if your only doing two hours in the bradley and finishing in the oven @400-425  it should be done sooner.

Bambooman36

i never had the chance to smoke a turkey yet in my BOS yet and i plan to for thanks giving. i only smoked in a traditional smoker with fire. so im kinda gonna go off someone who did it off there bradley. im gonna use this vid as a starting point but im sure ill tweek stuff but if it helps check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnDI8oWo1F0 and if anyone has any advice for me please shoot a comment back. as far as recipe i was kind of wanted to do a smoke with a beer marinade and if someone has a good beer marinade recipe id really love to here.

Bdogggut34

Thanks everyone.....yea i understand it's hard give a timeframe. I think i'm going to plan on the 6hr range although from Devo's comment above should be sooner. I'll report my findings after but everyone will be moving on after Thanksgiving until next year  :)