Turkey in a pan foil on or turkey straight on the rack no pan no foil?

Started by Bambooman36, November 18, 2013, 01:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambooman36

Hows it going guys just had a quick question what do you guys like better as far as smoking. Do you guys preffere smoking a turkey in your BS in a pan foil on or straight on the wrack no pan no foil? just curious what you feel is better for taste and whats more moist.

Habanero Smoker

I have smoked cooked turkey several ways in the Bradley. I've cooked them on the rack, in low sided pans, and vertically. They all work fine, and I haven't notice one being juicer then the other. If you want to keep the turkey whole, I find cooking them vertically with a wire turkey roaster is the best way.

Directly on the rack works well, and the cavity acts as a natural reservoir to collect the juices of the turkey. If you want to save on clean up and capture some of the juices placing the turkey in a pan with low sides works well. I usually put a bed or root vegetable cut in large chunk on the bottom of the pan, place the turkey on top of the vegetables and fill the pan with chicken stock. The pan may dry out by the time the turkey is down, but you can deglaze the pan to recover the flavor of the juices. When cooking in a pan or directly on the rack, also stuff some fresh rosemary, thyme, and or sage loosely in the cavity.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Bambooman36

Grouperman941

I like the smoke to contact as much of the turkey as possible, so no pan or foil for me.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?