Costco corned beef brisket

Started by smokinGSP, November 21, 2013, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinGSP

Got a 15 lb  Costco corned beef brisket. Any suggestions? should this be soaked prior to smoking?
•Corned Beef Brisket
•USDA Choice
•Uncooked
•Injected with Corned Beef Brine
•Up to 30% solution
•Random Weigth (R/W): 15 lb avg
BTDS76P / Big Easy

GusRobin

What do you want to do with it? Corned Beef or make Pastrami?

If corned beef, I would rinse it. If pastrami I would follow the instructions on the recipe site.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokinGSP

BTDS76P / Big Easy

smokinGSP

BTDS76P / Big Easy

KyNola

Quote from: smokinGSP on November 22, 2013, 11:58:48 AM
Plan was to smoke and finish in the Bradley, so I guess that would make it pastrami right. here it is
Actually no, smoking corned beef brisket does not make it pastrami.  It makes it a smoked corned beef brisket and there is nothing wrong with that at all.  Pastrami is a corned beef brisket that has had a pastrami rub applied to it and then smoked.  Lots of pastrami rub recipes out there including a great one on the recipe website that Habs submitted.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?157-Beef-Pastrami

You don't have to go through the corning part of the recipe as your beef is already corned.  Pay attention to his techniques and his recipe for the pastrami rub.  You can't go wrong with this.

smokinGSP

Almost there

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

BTDS76P / Big Easy

smokehawk

You can also get brisket at Costco (at least in the Northwest where I am) that is in a cryovac bag with the fat cap still on.  It's a reasonable price and USDA Choice.  It's what I use every time.  Except for the case of prime briskets I just got through a special order that was commodity pricing (<$3.00/lb)!!!

Pic-N-Stick

Man, that looks great!  My wife has been asking when I am going to make more venison pastrami.  Soon! 8)

Bowser 18

I have smoked corned beef without rinsing/soaking and applying a espresso rub very liberally to all sides.  I scored the fat, and threw it in the smoker until the meat was over 180 degrees, and I have to say that it was so simple and very similar to pastrami and absolutely wonderful. I doubt i will ever boil a corned beef again.

THE VERIFICATION ON HERE IS ABSOLUTELY ABSURD.

SiFumar

Thats going to be some amazing eating!

Quote from: Bowser 18 on March 13, 2014, 08:30:23 AM

THE VERIFICATION ON HERE IS ABSOLUTELY ABSURD.

It goes away after while...it helps the site protect us from spammers.