Wild turkey breast assistance needed

Started by KyNola, November 22, 2013, 07:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I have smoked tons of domesticated turkey but have never smoked a wild turkey breast.  A friend of mine asked if I would smoke 2 wild turkey breasts for her.  Naturally I said I would.  I received the breasts last night.  At first glance these are the largest wild turkey breasts I have ever seen.  They are skinless and off the bone.  I understand that wild turkey is naturally drier than domesticated turkey so I am thinking I am going to need to brine these to keep from getting too dry.  I am also going to strip them with bacon during the smoking process to aid in keeping the meat moist.  I am going to smoke them to an internal temperature of 152-155.

Does my thinking appear correct?  Any thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

ragweed

Sounds like a winner to me, Larry.  Just one thing.  I found a new rub the other day that goes great on poultry.  I think it's called Jane's or Jan's rub, or something like that.  I have the recipe if you'd like it.   ;) ;)

Wildcat

lol.

Larry - I have never smoked a or even cooked a wild Turkey but I have eaten a few. I doubt if you will find any fat in the bird and the meat has a tendency to be a little tougher and yes, it can turn out kind of dry. I think you are on the right track. The ones I have eaten were injected with various ingredients.  The ones I liked the most had salted home-churned butter as one of the ingredients that was injected.

Rick
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Joe and Rick, thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.

devo

Tall narrow glass, ice and a splash of Mt. Dew. Call it a "GobbleDew"

Tenpoint5

Kynola here is the brine I used on the wild turkey breast we had at the MWSO. I got it from TMB.

Here is my basic brine I use.

8 oz bourbon (cheap stuff)
1/2 gal water
1/2 cup sea salt
1 Tbs  white pepper
1 Tbs black pepper
1 cup apple cider vinegar
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 23, 2013, 08:10:35 AM
Kynola here is the brine I used on the wild turkey breast we had at the MWSO. I got it from TMB.

Here is my basic brine I use.

8 oz bourbon (cheap stuff)
1/2 gal water
1/2 cup sea salt
1 Tbs  white pepper
1 Tbs black pepper
1 cup apple cider vinegar
Good stuff ;)   No, really this seemed to help alot with the flavor

Tenpoint5 wouldn't give it out if it weren't good ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!