Advice needed: What roasts specifically do I want from whole hog to be used for pulled pork

Started by GoCobbers95, June 25, 2014, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCobbers95

Quote from: pensrock on June 26, 2014, 01:21:22 PM
Great replies from the others. Butt and picnics are the best for pulled pork but I agree you do not want to use 3 pigs and just take the front shoulders. I would also take the loins and tenderloins. They are very lean but after shredding I would mix it all together and you will have some great pulled pork. You may be able to cut down on the number of hogs by using more than the shoulder meat. The butcher will still be making out by getting the ribs, bellies and hams. If you have a way to do whole hog, that would be the best but it takes practice and the right equipment.

This is my sentiment exactly... I DO NOT want to go 3 pigs. Doing the loins and mixing in, sounds like the best bet.

Thank you ALL for the help. I am always impressed with knowledge and hospitality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tenpoint5

You go with what your heart tells you but I am looking at it this way. If you only use the front legs and loins with donated meat. That is an extremely well paid butcher.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!