Question

Started by kinder, May 23, 2006, 08:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinder

Hey guys, I was wondering how long smoked salmon will last in the freezer when packed in those food saver vacuum bags. I had taken out some salmon the other day that was about 6 months old and when it thawed it was soft, and really fishy smelling.  ???

whitetailfan

which is good because if it smelled like beef you would have a problem ;D

The time in freezer depends on the thickness of the bag, the temp of the freezer, the consistency of the flesh, and technique.  I know of people who will freeze fish in water to form a block of ice and say it increases the time in freezer without burning.

My vote is if it don't smell right...good chance it don't taste right.  Look for freezer burn, but if it looks and smells just funny, perhaps it was not properly cared for prior to packaging...

I'd chuck it if I doubted it.  To each his own level of risk etc.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

tsquared

QuoteI was wondering how long smoked salmon will last in the freezer when packed in those food saver vacuum bags.
I am still eating salmon that I bagged and froze in the Food Saver in August last year. They are still in excellent shape and tast great with no freezer burn. I used to have to clean out the bottom of my freezer every year and throw out fish but haven't had to do so for years since i started using Food Savers. Best thing you could buy if you catch alot of fish. Of course, you have to treat your fish well BEFORE you put it in the saver bags and freeze it. If it is not handled properly and taken care of, it will still be lousy when you take it out. (I'm not saying you treat your fish this way, just that while the Food Saver is a very good machine, it can't work miracles!)
T2

iceman

Quote from: kinder on May 23, 2006, 08:57:21 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering how long smoked salmon will last in the freezer when packed in those food saver vacuum bags. I had taken out some salmon the other day that was about 6 months old and when it thawed it was soft, and really fishy smelling.  ???
If it smells pitch it. Like T2 said it can keep a long time if done right but if it smells off when thawed it's a good bet it turned on you and should be discarded. A little wasted fish is still a lot less expensive (and painful) than a trip to the hospital.

Kummok

Those that have been around awhile, know that I'm not the one to ask such questions....but since you DID..... ;)

I've eaten smoked, frozen, vac-sealed salmon that I smoked as old as two years.....although it's never smelled "fishy", rather it smelled "smoky". Smelling is a good practice, but the only stuff I've tossed is the stuff that smelled...and LOOKED...freezer burned. When I DO "toss it", it goes in the direction of 'Beezer', our resident Newfy and he's NEVER complained ;)

iceman

Hey Kummok, are you back in town? I was down in Homer this weekend halibut fishing. Limited out all three days. Sorry I missed you. I'll let you know next time I get down there and we'll get together.

manxman

Quotehalibut fishing. Limited out all three days.

Just out of interest what is the bag limit? Any size in the ones you caught Iceman?  ;)
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on June 20, 2006, 09:01:08 AM
Quotehalibut fishing. Limited out all three days.

Just out of interest what is the bag limit? Any size in the ones you caught Iceman?  ;)
2 per day and no proxy allowed on halibut. Smallest one this trip 47 pounds and the largest was 82 pounds. Not huge but real good eating. Didn't catch any salmon though. ( I think Kummock caught them all when he got back in town)! ;D

manxman

Thanks Iceman, is there a minimum size limit?

Often it is the smaller fish that make the better eating, like lobsters the biggest ones are often the toughest or like cod, are infested with worms! :o
Manxman

iceman

Manx, I don't know what the minimum size would be on chickens (that's what the small halibut are called). Kummok would know though. He lives right near where I was fishing and wets a line on a regular basis.

tsquared

QuoteDidn't catch any salmon though.
The boys here on the west coast of Vancouver Island are complaining of the same thing --it's relatively slow salmon fishing. Not that I'd know on a personal basis, being too busy at work to get out. :-[ Soon tho. Sounds like the hali fishing was good. Maybe it will be like last year and turn on mid-August for 6 weeks. It was crazy good then.

T2

Kummok

Yep....just got back from America last Thursday, Iceman. My neighbor went out Friday and limited for the four of them....smallest was 50# and largest was 180#. The best part was that it was all in 20-30' of water!! A "secret spot"......

To answer Manxman's query, I don't know the minimum size, but we don't keep any that haven't had their eyes move to one side....  ;)   Frequently, when we're trolling for Kings, we'll pick up a few chickens as small as 5-6# and cook them for dinner......

manxman

QuoteTo answer Manxman's query

Thanks Kummock, it always intrigues me to hear about other fisheries in different parts of the world.

180lb halibut in 30' water...... bet that's an interesting tustle!! :o :o
Manxman