Easy Turkey Brining

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 23, 2013, 06:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I my self have not tried it nor dont know how it would be in a smoker so read on.

Hey at least i didnt say nothing about brisket  :o

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/genius-dry-brined-turkey-221200212.html

Saber 4

It looks like it should work, you could always try it with hickory smoked salt to see if you get smoke flavor deep into the meat. I've got to cure my turkey this year by special request so it will be up to you or someone else to give this one a try.

ragweed

We're not planning a turkey dinner 'til Christmas.  So I have time to experiment.  Think I'll try it next week.

Grouperman941

Sounds a lot like making bacon or pastrami. :-)

I am trying this with my next turkey smoke.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

ragweed

I was going to try this today, but all I could find were birds with "Solution" added.  Up to 9.5% turkey broth, salt, sugar and sodium phosphate.  Is that gonna ruin the deal?  I'm thinking I should just throw some Jan's on this little girl and throw her in the Bradley with some pecan smoke.  Then see if I can find a bird that hasn't been treated.  What do you think?

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on November 25, 2013, 10:55:12 AM
I was going to try this today, but all I could find were birds with "Solution" added.  Up to 9.5% turkey broth, salt, sugar and sodium phosphate.  Is that gonna ruin the deal?  I'm thinking I should just throw some Jan's on this little girl and throw her in the Bradley with some pecan smoke.  Then see if I can find a bird that hasn't been treated.  What do you think?

I found fresh young birds at Sam's with 3% broth, less than 2% salt for $.99 lb. so you might try there if you have one close and can't find anywhere else. I think I read something the other day about the dry brine pulling the brine out of the bird and evening things up in the long run.

ragweed

So you think it would be okay to try it ?

Saber 4

I'd say go for it just not on Thanksgiving day if it doesn't work good, you won't be in trouble. :D

ragweed

Thanks, Robert.  This is an experiment.  We're having ham for Thanksgiving.   :)

ragweed

Okay folks, here we go.  Salted an 8 lb turkey per the recipe.  Added a pinch of paprika, thyme and sage.  After three days zip locked in the frig, I removed from the bag, put her on a platter, then back in the frig (uncovered) for 8 hrs.  This morning, set her on the counter to warm, rubbed with a little OO and Jan's rub and now she's in the OBS enduring 4 hrs of pecan at 220F.

Rubbed and ready to smoke.

More later.

tailfeathers

Hey Ragweed, I have a question if you don't mind. I've seen you (among others) mention putting a foil wrapped brick in the tower to aid in heat retention and recovery time. Do you put it in the bottom by the water bowl or above on a rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

I put it in the drip tray. That should work.

ragweed

Quote from: tailfeathers on November 29, 2013, 08:05:28 AM
Hey Ragweed, I have a question if you don't mind. I've seen you (among others) mention putting a foil wrapped brick in the tower to aid in heat retention and recovery time. Do you put it in the bottom by the water bowl or above on a rack?

I put it on the bottom, just to the right of the water bowl.  Drip tray would be okay too, but I put it below to avoid "drips" when cooking butts or poultry.

tailfeathers

I got a couple of loins worth of c bacon going. Maybe when I roll the smoke I'll move the brick down so it won't get dripped on. Thanks!

ragweed

Okay, I'm back.  After four hours of pecan, it stayed in the OBS at 220 F until an IT of ~160 F.  Then into a 375 F oven for 1/2 hour to crisp the skin and FTC 'til suppertime.  About 2 hrs.  Here 'tis after the Bradley, heading for the oven.

It was very tasty and moist.  SWMBO said it was very good but not better than the way I usually cook turkey.  Which is season day of and smoke/cook.  So, maybe changing the recipe by smoke/cooking negates the benefits of dry brining and roasting in the oven.  Maybe I didn't get the brining right.  Regardless, it turned out fine and we have enough left for sandwiches this afternoon.   :) :)