Time&Temp.

Started by Jody Smith, November 24, 2013, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody Smith

This is my first post , here goes, I'm going to smoke a 20 lb Turkey which I will also Brine, in my Bradley Smoker . Mesquite is my smoke of choice .
How long and at what temperature should I do it ? to reach  the recommended 165 degree internal temperature .
Also I have not decided on a brine yet and would welcome any advice .
Happy Thanksgiving to all .

Saber 4

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Poultry is a smoke magnet so most seem to recommend 1-3 hours of smoke, I like to do 3-4 hours myself as we like the smoke. As for brine I like this one http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?21-Apple-Juice-Turkey-Brine-by-Smokehouse-Rob it's not to salty and has a nice sweet note to it, I added cure 1 to mine to get an old fashioned flavor and texture. Be sure to check how much brine is already in your turkey, I had to hunt around till I found a fresh turkey with only 3% solution that had less than 2% salt in it. I do mine at 220 degrees on my digital 4 rack, you can make life easier for yourself by spatchcocking the bird so you can lay each half on a separate rack. I can't give you a time because each bird will cook differently and I haven't done hundreds like some of the guys here who should be able to give you a better idea on times. I will say start earlier than you think you need to, it's easier to keep warm than serve late. Just my opinions, others with more experience will be along to give their advice and I recommend you take from all and do what makes the most sense to you.

TedEbear

Jody, you might consider finishing it in a regular over at 350*F after it has reached an IT of around 140*F.  The reason is the Bradley doesn't get hot enough to crisp the skin and many people report rubbery skin on poultry when they cook it entirely in the Bradley.  Still shoot for a final IT of 165, as you said.

wkahler

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 24, 2013, 09:34:02 AM
Welcome to the forum from Texas. Poultry is a smoke magnet so most seem to recommend 1-3 hours of smoke, I like to do 3-4 hours myself as we like the smoke. As for brine I like this one http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?21-Apple-Juice-Turkey-Brine-by-Smokehouse-Rob it's not to salty and has a nice sweet note to it, I added cure 1 to mine to get an old fashioned flavor and texture. Be sure to check how much brine is already in your turkey, I had to hunt around till I found a fresh turkey with only 3% solution that had less than 2% salt in it. I do mine at 220 degrees on my digital 4 rack, you can make life easier for yourself by spatchcocking the bird so you can lay each half on a separate rack. I can't give you a time because each bird will cook differently and I haven't done hundreds like some of the guys here who should be able to give you a better idea on times. I will say start earlier than you think you need to, it's easier to keep warm than serve late. Just my opinions, others with more experience will be along to give their advice and I recommend you take from all and do what makes the most sense to you.

Did u substitute the salt in this brine for cure #1 or how to do that vs. the salt in the recipe?
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: wkahler on November 25, 2013, 04:18:55 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on November 24, 2013, 09:34:02 AM

Did u substitute the salt in this brine for cure #1 or how to do that vs. the salt in the recipe?

I followed Habs advice in my turkey brining questions post and just added the 3 0z.'s of cure to the brine and it didn't come out salty at all, I have one in the fridge on a rack now to go in the Bradley about noon today.