First Turkey smoke. Test run before Thanksgiving.

Started by Z7extreme, November 24, 2013, 07:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z7extreme

Yum it turned out great thanks to all you guys and your tips. This was a 12 pound fresh never frozen turkey that I brined with High Mountain brand game bird and poultry brine. This brine had cure in it. I brined the turkey for 36 hrs and I also injected the brine into the breast's and thighs. After 36 hrs brined in the fridge I rinsed the turkey off inside and out really well. I dried the bird off and let it sit on the counter while the BS preheated to 190 deg. I placed the turkey on the second rack from the bottom and let it warm up and dry for an hour. I smoked the bird for 4 hours at 200 deg with apple. I turned the heat up to 210 deg. I then left the bird in the smoker for another 6 hours till the internal temp in the thigh was 170 deg on both sides. Ten hours for a 12 pound bird. The smoke flavor was perfect and the meat was very juicy and tender.

My five and two year old kids ate the turkey before anything else on there plate. My wife and I both agreed that was the best turkey we had ever eaten. I'm not worried about Thanksgiving dinner anymore. As long as I follow these steps again it should turn out great again.

ragweed

Saber 4

Great looking bird, You should have turkey day nailed down tight.