Beef Brisket Question

Started by tyweb69, November 25, 2013, 06:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyweb69

I bought a way too big packer cut brisket from Costco yesterday.  15 lbs no way it fits on one rack (4 rack original smoker).  I wanted a smaller cut but they did not have and at $2.56/lb I was not going to argue ($6.99 at the local grocery store).  My question is- is it ok to cut it in half and cook on 2 racks?  I would obviously alternate the two racks ever few hours.  Please advise.
Thanks.

Saber 4

There are posts on here about how to cut the brisket best to fit and posts on a method of folding the brisket into an upside down U shape and fitting it on one rack that work, I'm heading out the door or I would search them up for you. If you find a way to do it all on one rack double your racks for that weight brisket. You might look for Panchanga's post on brisket it's very informative.

TedEbear

tyweb69

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it.

beefmann

i have cut large briskets in half, seasoned both pieces then  smoked them  while having them  on separate racks

Pachanga

A 15 pounder is a tough fit in the Bradley.  However, I have seen some compact 15s that would fit.

Before seasoning, practice compressing the tongue end (flat) and bending the flat in the upside down U on a rack.  You might be surprised at how much a thin flat will wrinkle into place.

Good luck on wrestling that bad girl into a little jewel.  Tame that hefer.

Pachanga