Top vent

Started by hoovers, November 27, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoovers

I am fairly new to smoking but in one of the threads I read on here someone responded to a heat problem with the question if they had the top vent all the way open as it should be, I figured keep the vent most of the way closed in order to hold in the heat a I looking at it backwards?

KyNola

Yes, you are looking at it backwards.  If the top vent is mostly closed the moisture being expelled from the meat is trapped in the tower and will hold down the temp in the tower.  The moisture can also condensate and rain a nasty tasting "black rain" on your meat as well as run down the sides of the tower and run out the bottom of the door, staining everything it comes in contact with. (Don't ask me how I know about the staining issue :o)  Closing the vent can also cause the smoke to back up into your generator and over time will destroy it.  I completely removed my top vent years ago.

hoovers

Wow thanks for the reply I definetely have alot to learn

KyNola

Quote from: hoovers on November 27, 2013, 05:21:50 PM
Wow thanks for the reply I definetely have alot to learn
You're welcome.  That's why we are all here.

GusRobin

me too - my vent has been wide open from the first smoke and I don't think it will even move anymore.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I'm one that uses the vent, depending on what I have and the size of the load in the Bradley. There is a balance as to where you can loose heat with the vent too closed, and also loose heat when the vent is too opened. If you are obtaining the heat you need with the vent wide open, then that is not a problem. If you are not obtaining the heat you want with the vent wide open, then you may get better results closing to 3/4 or 1/2 opening. As long as you have the vent open wide enough to expel most of the moisture and prevent it from condensing in the smoker you are alright.

The below link contains a guideline. It may be useful until you learn your smoker.
Vent

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

I only keep the vent on mine wide open for poultry, which gives off a lot of moisture.  Otherwise, I keep it at about halfway.  Right now the outdoor temp is 19*F and I have a turkey going with the vent all the way open.

renoman

Quote from: KyNola on November 27, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
Yes, you are looking at it backwards.  If the top vent is mostly closed the moisture being expelled from the meat is trapped in the tower and will hold down the temp in the tower.  The moisture can also condensate and rain a nasty tasting "black rain" on your meat as well as run down the sides of the tower and run out the bottom of the door, staining everything it comes in contact with. (Don't ask me how I know about the staining issue :o)  Closing the vent can also cause the smoke to back up into your generator and over time will destroy it.  I completely removed my top vent years ago.

I have completely removed my vent and get the black "goo" running out of the bottom of the door on every smoke.