BRADLEY SMOKER vs GREAT OUTDOORS SMOKY MOUNTAIN BIG BLOCK

Started by oillogger, June 09, 2006, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oillogger

Guys,

I am considering purchasing either a Bradley smoker or a Great Outdoors propane smoker.  Please tell me your opinions of the pros and cons of each and why you prefer one over the other.  Also please indicate the main issues that the Bradley smokers have and how they are usually overcomed.  Which Bradley smoker do you recommend and why?  I live in South Louisiana in the middle of the swamp so the humdity is always quite high.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. ;D

mattmilw

I bought a Smokey Mountain  last fall. It was an improvement on the Brinkman water smoker I used to use. My complaint with it was the amount of attention it required to do a long smoke, versus the quality of the food it put out. It was better then the Brinkman for sure, but more work then I really wanted to put into smoking. Soon after I bought it, I came across a BS in a local store.  I knew right away I had made the wrong choice! The problem was how could I bring home the BS since the Smokey Mountain was only months old. Well, I figured a way to get it past the wife, and I bought the BS. It addresses every issue I had with the Smokey Mountain. The best improvement is the quality of the smoke flavor- it's very clean. The Smokey Mountain's flavor had a bitterness to it. I didn't really realize this was the case until I tasted food from the BS.

Another problem with the Smokey Mountain was the temp require to produce smoke- 220-230 degrees.  I run the BS at 200 which produces great results.

I hope this helps. In my opinion, get the BS...you'll be happy with it.

Matt

asa

I've only used the GO once and, as I recall, it seemed to require a lot more watching and worrying about than the Bradley. We seemed to be opening the door to add chips every 30 minutes or so all afternoon long, then cranking the heat up to get them smoldering, then lowering it so as not to over cook the ribs, etc etc. But once is probably not a fair trial, and we were inexperienced in using it. There appear to be a lot of happy GO users on the net that you can find with a search (check the countrybynet.com website for one chat group). On the other hand, I've used my Bradley frequently (even on weeknights to smoke thin thin pieces of chicken and fish for 40 minutes for dinner that evening), but I'm not aware that my friend with the GO uses it often at all because it appears to require so much effort. - - - probably not a fair and balanced assessment - just one Bradley-owner's limited experience.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Oldman

I have not own that unit. However, I've looked it over and from what I've read here there is one item for sure that would eliminate it for me.  I don't see how in the world you could smoke sausage in it and not render out the fat. Nothing worse than overly dried out sausage.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

oillogger

Thanks for all of your great input!  I have been to several forums and have asked several questions.  I went with the GOSM Big Block over the Bradley Smokers for several reasons.  Here are some of them.

1.  GOSM Big Block has a much larger cooking capacity.
2.  The higher tempatures the GOSM can obtain.
3.  No special wood bisquits required.  I got to hand it to the guy that makes his own.
4.  I was concerned about the electrical outlets I had available being able to handle the Bradley Smoker.
5.  GOSM ($189) costs less than the Bradley Smokers.
6.  I read too many posts about smoke generator issues.

The Bradley Smokers conclusions I have reached is that the Bradley Smoker has it's place in the smoking world and there are several loyal fans producing great tasting smoke with their Bradley Smokers.  Who knows, maybe one day I will own one.

Keep up the great postings in this forum!

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: oillogger on June 17, 2006, 12:56:58 PM
Keep up the great postings in this forum!

oillogger,

Good luck with the big block (for awhile, I was wondering if you were talking about engines  :D) and stay in touch. Always wondering what people are doing with the smoke........

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

oil... you got any crawdaddys down there... and im not talking about the border jumpers... err border crawlers...

im talking about these... http://www.crawdadfestival.org

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

oillogger

Use to have plenty of crawfish, crawdads, crayfish, mudbugs,...etc.  The hurricanes kind of messed them up but they will be back in full force next year.  I did have some one month ago and yum, yum!  Pinch the tails and suck the heads.  Ayeeeeee!  T-Boy, ya'll come and help us pass a good time.

Your link makes a good point which is true and needs to be corrected.  I just want to replace some of our non-working society loafers with border jumpers that are willing to work and pay taxes.

Oldman

QuoteI just want to replace some of our non-working society loafers with border jumpers that are willing to work and pay taxes
I have no problem with this at all....just as soon as they become US citizens. BTW what are you going to do with "our" non-working society loafers? Send them to Mexico?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

owrstrich

i saw one of those at cabelas or farm and fleet... cant remember... it looked like it was more of a workhorse than the mws quarter horse...

this one...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

I did very similar research and bought a Bradley Digital.  You have good points that match your needs I am sure.  I came out listing a lot of the same things. May be silly but the trade off was hastle with the gas vs having the pucks delivered to my door.  The push was being able to try some cold smoking. Have fun smoking.

Oldman, I love your focus!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

oillogger

Quote from: Oldman on June 17, 2006, 03:12:00 PM
QuoteI just want to replace some of our non-working society loafers with border jumpers that are willing to work and pay taxes
I have no problem with this at all....just as soon as they become US citizens. BTW what are you going to do with "our" non-working society loafers? Send them to Mexico?

Well if Mexico and Canada does not want them then 200 miles out in the ocean in a raft without a paddle unless there is a super quick permanent change in their attitude and actions.  Basically if you do not have any desire to pull your own weight then CYA!  Of course it is not that simple.  The incentatives have to be changed.  It has to be more desirable to go get a job and maintain that job than living off the system.  I have always believed in helping those who want to help themselves and those who could not help themselves.  Now those who do not care to help themselves when they are able to do not deserve any assistance, rights, etc.

This is not what any country needs:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/17/national/main1726465.shtml

Oldman

QuoteThe incentatives have to be changed.  It has to be more desirable to go get a job and maintain that job than living off the system.
Sorry I do not agree with this at all.

In 1979 - 1980 when I returned to Florida we were as poor as a church mouse. I had a family to feed. I created a toilet cleaning company. When I sold that toilet cleaning company I was cleaning 156 public toilets per week.

After that I started cleaning restaurants 7 days per week 365 days per year and did not take off one day in the 1st. 2 1/2 years. With any luck my little company today in the next 12 months will do from 500K to 750K cleaning carpets.  Start out doing production work. 18,000 to 21,000 wand strokes per day. I got here the hard way. I know of minority cleaners that do well too. Not just Black American cleaners, but I know of two women cleaners who have also come up the ranks.

In 1983, while could read, I could not write a single understandable sentence. I went back to school while working some 60 hours per week and when I graduated I had a 3.85 GPA.

So I cannot buy into the idea we need change incentives. They need to take care of their family just like I did mine. Create their own motivation. As far as making things more desirable let me tell ya, cleaning someone Chit up is anything but desirable.

BTW the best carpet installers (commercial) I ever seen I had install my system 6 in my house and they are US citizens who came from Mexico.

I stand by this statement. Those who employ illegal aliens should be sent to a mandatory full 5 years in a real prison. If and when that ever happens the jobs will go poof and the illegals will all go back home.

*Olds steps down, folds up soapbox and places it back under the bed.*