Cornish Hens- from start to finish

Started by jb, November 27, 2013, 07:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

Cornish Hens

I did a bit of searching around and gathered together a handful of posts (mostly from Habanero) about cooking Cornish hens- from brine to rub to smoke. Some of the information was inconsistent but I have stitched together a plan- posted below. Some of it is simply copied and pasted. I will be grateful for any feedback especially if something seems like a bad idea.

Brine

Ingredients:

• 3 pints water
  • 1 pint apple juice
  • 1/3 cup canning salt
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp dill weed
  • 1 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp black pepper
Directions: To two cups of the water add ingredients (not juice); combine in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure that all salt and sugar has dissolved; if not add more water until all salt and sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain and add this mixture to the remaining water and juice in a non-metallic container, and chill before using (bringing the temperature down to at least 40 degree F).

Brining

Place hens in the brine; make sure they stay submerged in the brine. Refrigerate for 2 – 4 hours. Remove hens from brine, pat dry, place on a rack, and let air dry in the refrigerator uncovered until a pellicle forms.

Question 1: How long will it take for a pellicle to form?

Rub

Ingredients:    

• 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
  • 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
  • 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning

Directions:  After a pellicle has formed from the brining process, coat with olive oil and: rub a generous amount of mixture all over and underneath the skin of the bird being careful not to tear the skin. Massage the rub in well. Sprinkle more of the rub inside the body and neck cavities. Wrap the bird in plastic wrap, or put it in a plastic bag overnight in fridge.

Question 2: This is the part I am most uncertain about- remember, I've never worked with poultry or brining before! Will I be able to get the rub under the skin? Will applying/massaging a rub at this point "mess up" the brining process? Does this need to sit overnight like with a pork roast or can I do this step (apply rub) just before stuffing and cooking?

Stuffing

Ingredients:    

• 6 oz Anchovy filets
  • 4-6 cloves garlic
  • 1 stick of butter (unsalted)
  • coarse chopped fresh parsley
  • 4 lemons
  • thyme sprigs

Directions: Combine all but lemons and thyme and blend. Split evenly among the hens. Quarter and place 1 lemon in each hen. Place a couple of thyme sprigs in each hen.

Smoking

Smoke at 225°F-250°F, using about 1:40 - 2 hours of smoke. Keep them in the smoker until the internal temperature is 165°F, measured in the thickest part of the thigh.

jb

I started my cook (4 hens) an hour ago and my temp has only climbed to 200... am I in trouble?

jb

Ok, it has been 2 hours since I started and my cabinet temp is still just 200 with it cranked all the way up. If anyone can suggest some modification for me, I'd appreciate it!

KyNola

Quote from: jb on November 28, 2013, 06:15:29 AM
I started my cook (4 hens) an hour ago and my temp has only climbed to 200... am I in trouble?
You should be ok.  When you opened the door to place the hens in the smoker you lost a ton of heat.  With the cold poultry in the tower, temp recovery will be slow as the cold hens are absorbing all of the heat the Bradley can muster.  Also, what are you using to monitor the temp in the tower?  If you are relying on info from the Bradley you may be getting inaccurate data.

jb

Thanks so much for the reply.

I am using the built-in Bradley thermometer, so I know it won't be perfect. The ambient temp is 28! Do you think I should pull the birds at some point and finish in the oven?

jb

I took them out of the smoker when IT was 140 and put them in oven at 350 for about 30 minutes, turning them over once. IT when I pulled them was 170. Let them rest for 20 minutes..... they seem pretty dang perfect to me! Will post pics if I have time.

KyNola

Nice job!  The ambient temperature probably wasn't as much of an issue as the wind blowing over the top of the smoker.  Wind blowing over the top of the smoker will suck the heat right out of the tower.  Blocking the wind should help you.

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you have this down. Let me know how you like the rub. That is my favorite for any type of poultry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jb

jb

These were so freaking good that I forgot to post pics... here they are!

ragweed

As good as those look, I'm surprised you got pictures at all!!

jb

Quote from: ragweed on December 13, 2013, 06:23:00 AM
As good as those look, I'm surprised you got pictures at all!!

My wife and I devoured one right away. Then we had to pretend to be hungry when the guests who brought turkey arrived.

Saber 4

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jb

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 29, 2013, 01:58:40 AM
Looks like you have this down. Let me know how you like the rub. That is my favorite for any type of poultry.

The rub was perfect. I don't think this could have been improved upon. The only problem is that now I'm going to have a difficult time getting to smoke butts and ribs because my wife will always prefer the hens.