Tappecue

Started by Sailor, November 28, 2013, 05:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Got a box yesterday

The Tappecue is a WiFi device that has 4 probes and each probe has a 6 foot cable.  You can monitor 4 chunks of meat or 4 cabinet temperatures or a combination of the 4.  You can monitor the readout on your smart phone or iPad.  When the cook is finished you can email yourself the cook file and load it to your spreadsheet and graph the cook.

The thing that impressed me was the fact that it has WiFi capabilities where other devices have Bluetooth or radio connection and distance is a factor.  With the Tappecue one can go to the neighbors and socialize and still monitor the cook or run to the store.  For those that have to go to work while a cook is going on you could use your smart phone to monitor and call your wife when it was done and plead with her to take the food off the smoker.

For those that like to share info about a cook you can give out a guest login ID and password and they can watch your cook from anywhere in the world using their smart phone or iPad.

I had a Maverick E732 and it was handy but it confined me to the house and I could only monitor 1 hunk of meat.  A year ago I loaned it to my SIL and I have never seen it since.  I had been reading about the iGrill device but it is Bluetooth and would still confine me to the house.  I then read a review of the Tappecue and this is the device that I decided to buy.  It is more expensive but it will do 4 times what the others will do.

To install the device one must have a Windows based computer to set the system up and to install the drivers and program the device to pair with your WiFi set up.  You need to know your SSID and password and the type of router that you have.  Once you get it paired you are good to go.

Yesterday the UPS man showed up at 3 to deliver the unit.  Got it paired and put on a Pork Butt around 5.  I used one probe to monitor the cabinet temp and the other to monitor the meat temp.  I still used my PID to control the cabinet temp and to monitor the meat temp.  The Tappecue stayed within 2 degrees of the cabinet temp and 1 to 2 degrees of the meat temp.  The Tappecue meat probe was place on the other end of the meat so there could be a difference with the meat temp.

Took the dog out for a long walk around 10pm and could check on the cook.  When I went to bed I placed my phone on the night stand and was able to check the temps.  I just don't sleep well when I have a cook going at night.  It was fantastic to be able to look at the phone and see that all is well without rolling out of bed and going outside to check the PID.

The cook is still going and the meat temp is up to 184  according to the PID and the Tappecue says 184 so I still have 6 more degrees to go.  PID cabinet temp is reading 248 and the Tappecue is dead on at 248.  When the cook is finished I will download the data file and try to graph it out and post it.  Will be going over to the daughters for Thanksgiving so it maybe tomorrow or the next day before I get figure out the graph.

Just passing along what information I gathered in case you are putting together your Christmas list.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and be safe.

Edit....I purchased this from Eric that owns Semi Pellet Grills http://simipelletgrills.com/  He is a dealer for Tappecue and he was very helpful in helping me set this up.  I am not so pretty smart when it comes to all this new fangled electronic stuff.  I did not know what a SSID was....DUH.  He took over my computer using Team Viewer and had me up and running in no time at all.  He has not updated his website to show the Tappecue but if you are interested he would be more than happy to tell you about them. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

beefmann

great looking device gonna  have to check into it. thanks for the post

Tenpoint5

Cool new toyool Sailor!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

love the smoke

I have had one for a while now and I absolutely love this thing

LTS
LTS

pokermeister

How much do these things cost??
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

iceman

Quote from: pokermeister on December 01, 2013, 10:43:22 PM
How much do these things cost??

They cost around $199.00 up here.

cajunboudreaux

Spoke with Eric, Very nice guy, Price is $199.00 with Free shipping.. I will be owning one of these very soon. And Bradley forum members get a 10% discount off the $199.00.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Snoopy

i see a new toy in my future

Sailor

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on December 04, 2013, 09:18:35 AM
Spoke with Eric, Very nice guy, Price is $199.00 with Free shipping.. I will be owning one of these very soon. And Bradley forum members get a 10% discount off the $199.00.

Eric is a Rock Solid guy and is very happy to help with any questions that needs to be answered.  I am so glad that he has offered to give the Bradley Forum members the 10% discount.  Last time I checked his website he did not have the Tappecue listed but said he would be putting it up.  If you are interested just give him a call.  Eric is a Fire Fighter so he may be on duty if you call.  Just leave him a message and he will get right back to you.

The Tappecue beats the Maverick or iGrill hands down in my opinion.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

iceman

Quote from: Sailor on December 04, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
Quote from: cajunboudreaux on December 04, 2013, 09:18:35 AM

Eric is a Rock Solid guy and is very happy to help with any questions that needs to be answered.  I am so glad that he has offered to give the Bradley Forum members the 10% discount.  Last time I checked his website he did not have the Tappecue listed but said he would be putting it up.  If you are interested just give him a call.  Eric is a Fire Fighter so he may be on duty if you call.  Just leave him a message and he will get right back to you.

The Tappecue beats the Maverick or iGrill hands down in my opinion.

Sounds like someone that needs to be on the preferred vendor list.   ;)

cajunboudreaux

Here is Erics new website.. Just give him a call if you have any questions

http://www.thebbqhq.com/
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Rckcrwlr

I will be picking up one of these after the holidays.  Hopefully we will still get the 10% off.

Just found the Android App in Google Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tappecue.app&hl=en

For all you iPhone people

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tappecue/id657184893?mt=8

OK...and here is a video

http://youtu.be/yzTnhk6Yp30