1 med. onion, preferably vidalia or other sweet onion, smoked
2 large tomatoes, smoked
1 T EVOO
1 T garlic, minced
3 sliced proscuitto, julienned
1 C creme fraiche
8 ounces fettucine
4 T fresh basil, julienned

Lightly smoke the scallops, onion and tomatoes for abt 45 minutes to 1 hr @ 205 deg. Cool, peel tomatoes and chop, removing the seeds and reserving any liquid. Dice the onion and set aside. Slice each scallop into 3 or 4 slices. Set aside.

Bring pasta water to a boil. If using dried fettucine, cook according to package directions. If using fresh pasta, boil for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.

Heat evoo over medium heat in a med saute pan, add onion and cook for abt 3 minutes, do not let brown. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, abt 2 minutes more. Add proscuitto and tomatoes, including any accumulated juices. Cook for abt 3 minutes, add creme fraiche and stir to combine. Add scallops, taking care to not break them up too much. Cook until scallops are warmed through and sauce slightly thickened. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in half the basil, reserving the rest for garnish.

Drain the pasta well, add to the sauce. Stir to coat the pasta and serve immediatley, garished with the remainder of the basil.

Serve with a fruity un-oaked chardonay, we served it with Tolusa chard from San Luis Obispo County, CA

Other fun things with the smoked scallops:

slice abt 1/4" thick, you should get about 2-3 from each scallop. Add a dollop of cream fraiche or sour cream and a small dollop of caviar. Garnish with chopped chives.

slice as above, partially wrap with a small slice of the proscuitto, tucking in a small snip of chive.

slice as above, top with a small mound of crab salad.

all served with a nice glass of bubbly, of course.

tsquared

Oh, oh, oh! I just had 4 large prime rib bones with all the trimmings and your recipe STILL made me hungry. Way to go Karen!
T2

asa

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting your recipe.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

manxman

Excellent recipes, we get a lot of fresh scallops round here so I am always on the look out for different things to do with them, even got a diver friend who picks up a few dozen from time to time when we are out in the boat.......  ;D
Manxman