mods for Digital 6 rack

Started by tailfeathers, December 03, 2013, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

I'm really kinda getting into this and I think the forums are part of my addiction. I have a digital 6 rack, and I'm interested in getting set up with a pid for sure, and probably adding some higher capacity as far as heating element goes. I would be interested in hearing what others have done, what would be the best way to go, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

If you want to boost the heating capacity of your six rack, I think the easiest way to do it is to do a dual element mod. 

I believe it was TedEBear who did what I think is the slickest mod by just extending the wiring from the original heating element to power the second element.  That mod involves punching a couple of holes in the reflector to hold the second element, a couple of short lengths of high temp wire with loop terminals at either end, and notching the ceramic cap of the holder assembly for the original heating element to allow you to feed the wire from the studs on the original heating element to the studs on the second heating element.  Cost wise, I estimate this upgrade will cost you about $50 and take about an hour to perform.  Of course, this cost does not include the cost of a PID to take over the heating element controlling duties (the Bradley controller is not designed to handle the 1,000 watts required by two elements).

I did the similar, but slightly more complicated mod that includes running wiring for the new element all the way back to the connector on the back of the smoker cabinet.  If I was doing it over, I'd take Ted's approach.  And I'd also buy a bigger PID than the dual probe 1200 watt plug and play that I got.  An 1,800 watt PID would allow me to use it to control the temp of a counter top roaster (the old fashioned turkey roaster) for finishing cooking sausage in a hot water bath, sous vide style.

lumpy

When I did the 2nd element mod in my BDS, I replaced all the original wiring with high temp silicone wires.

Habanero Smoker

Below is a link to some mods that people have done with their smokers. The duel element mods are the first two listed.

Bradley User Modifications

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

Thanks everybody! I'll keep you posted. Don't know how soon this will get done, depends on how fishing is, what demands mama makes of my time, the holidays, yada yada yada......but it WILL happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmonsmoker

IMHO the easiest mod with the digital smoker is the 900W upgrade. A couple of right angle brackets bolted to the heat shield to mount the 900W finned element, the wires are already high temp and sized to handle 900W. Get the finned element with a connector on each end and the wires bolt right up. Took about an hour to convert. Best price I found for the element was @  www.zorotools.com. My Auber PID controls the element while the smoke gen. is still original. I have the Auber dual probe controller also, but haven't set it up yet. 
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tailfeathers

Well I ordered a pid and a 900 watt finned element. Merry Christmas to me. Probably gonna cost me a Dooney & Bourke purse for SWMBO on top of the cost of my toys. Oh well, 'tis the season, right?

Salmonsmoker

I think you got the better deal tailfeathers. But being a guy, I have no idea what a Dooney and Bourke purse is either. Is it like a canvas cartridge case?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

JohnM70

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 04, 2013, 07:42:01 AM
IMHO the easiest mod with the digital smoker is the 900W upgrade.

I agree with Salmonsmoker the 900W mod was easy.

Tailfeathers... check the city!

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

tailfeathers

It's a way overpriced handbag, but I can't complain I guess. She pretty much let's me get the toys I want so if she wants a purse that costs about three times what it's worth so be it.