Freezing Lox? Safety concerns.

Started by Slamdunk, December 13, 2013, 08:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

Need your help.
I cold smoked some salmon Lox style on Monday evening and immediately put it into the fridge (which I've previously tested and found running at 38 degrees).
I had planned on vac sealing and putting it into the freezer, to be given as Xmas presents (along with some smoked cheese). However, one thing led to another and I didn't do that. Instead it has been sitting in the fridge for two and 1/2 days. I finally put it in the freezer last night (Thursday) and am now wondering if I left it too long.
What do you think, safe or not??

Thanks for your opinions.

Habanero Smoker

They are perfectly safe. Lox can be left in the refrigerator for up to 10 days, and I have left them in the refrigerator much longer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

x2 on what Habs said. 2 1/2 days in the fridge will give the smoke taste time to even out in the fish a bit but is still perfectly safe.
T2

Slamdunk

Well that makes me feel good!

I thought it would be OK, but just wanted to get some confirmation...now I won't have to be wondering/worrying if I am going to hear horror stories from the lucky recipients :D

I tried a new (to me) method with this batch, here is a link to a video produced by one of the better known fishing sites up in Vancouver Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuAQFL24Mjc