new to smoking

Started by allmann, December 13, 2013, 11:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allmann

I am kind of new to smoking but love eating it. I am a big hunter and eat lots of jerky. I want to get in to it without breaking the bank. I have smoked turkey breasts and pork shoulders before in a grill smoker. My question is what model do you suggest for a new-be that will be using it moderately. Im from jersey also, Thank you in advance for your help

tskeeter

Hi, Allmann.  Welcome from the Sierra's.

This forum has quite a few folks who have a lot of experience with jerky in a Bradley.  I expect one of them will be along shortly and give you some great advice.

Wildcat

I would recommend the Original version. Works just fine out of the box and can be modified easily if you are of a mind to do so. Generally lower cost and IMHO less trouble than the digital. The fancier something gets, the more that can go wrong with it. Just my 2 cents.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska and X2 on what Wildcat says.  I smoke for 2 hrs @ 150* F in my OBS then finish in dehydrators so I'm not much help.  The true Bradley jerky makers will be along shortly, I'm sure.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Saber 4

UncleAl

Welcome from Michigan I have the OBS am pretty new to smoking myself this unit is really easy to use.

beefmann

welcome aboard and i would go with a  original  4 rack

tailfeathers

I got a 6 rack digital this past summer  and just today modified it with a 900 watt element controlled by a single probe auber pid. If I had known then what I know now I would have gone with a 4 rack original and made the same two modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

allmann

Thanks guys is there a reason to go with the original over any of the others?  Does the digital have issues? Is the mod a difficult one? Is it necessary if I am only going to use it once or twice a month?

Saber 4

Quote from: allmann on December 15, 2013, 08:02:58 AM
Thanks guys is there a reason to go with the original over any of the others?  Does the digital have issues? Is the mod a difficult one? Is it necessary if I am only going to use it once or twice a month?

I have the 4 rack digital and haven't had any issues with it and I haven't yet had any desire to do any modifications, I think you'll be happy with any model you choose to get, however it seems from reading posts that it's easier to do the modifications on the original over the digital, if I have that wrong hopefully the mod experts will correct me quickly so I don't give you bad info.

Wildcat

The original is less expensive to purchase. Both produce the same amount of heat. One is operated with a slide controller and the other with electronics. They are essentially the same smoker. Although not necessary, either can be modified for tighter temp control.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

Quote from: Saber 4 on December 15, 2013, 08:18:49 AMhowever it seems from reading posts that it's easier to do the modifications on the original over the digital,

It's not necessarily easier, it's just a waste of money if someone pays more for the digital over the OBS and then adds a PID controller.  One version of the digital does have 6 racks, so if someone needs the extra space then they'd have to buy that one no matter what mods they plan to do later.

Saber 4

Quote from: TedEbear on December 15, 2013, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on December 15, 2013, 08:18:49 AMhowever it seems from reading posts that it's easier to do the modifications on the original over the digital,

It's not necessarily easier, it's just a waste of money if someone pays more for the digital over the OBS and then adds a PID controller.  One version of the digital does have 6 racks, so if someone needs the extra space then they'd have to buy that one no matter what mods they plan to do later.

Since I have the 4 rack digital if I ever wanted to do any mods what would my options be?

tailfeathers

I just installed a 900 watt element in my 6 rack digital on Friday, it was a piece of cake. Got a single probe auber pid to control the heat, still use the SG for creating smoke or cold smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!