Another Bradley Smoked & SRG finished Turkey Question

Started by Saber 4, December 15, 2013, 08:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I'm brining another smokehouse rob's brined turkey to smoke tomorrow in the Bradley and finish it in the SRG again. Last time I was just guessing on the method for the SRG, so today I'm asking the SRG user's how they finish theirs? What setting on the burner do you use and do you keep the lid up or down for the whole cook? Any other tips to make it a better cook are greatly appreciated.

Saber 4

Bumping for help, the turkey is going in the smoker in a minute and I don't want to take a chance that the first one was just luck??????

Ka Honu

I pretty much always use the SRG lid down and full power, then raise lid if browning too quickly.

Saber 4

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 16, 2013, 11:34:31 AM
I pretty much always use the SRG lid down and full power, then raise lid if browning too quickly.

Thank you sir.

OldHickory

Not to be different but what works for me.  Usually the ambient temp. is around 65* with light wind.  After smoke in the Bradley, I cook in the SRG on low with the lid down.  I monitor the temp. in the breast with the Mav. to 165*.  The turkey is on a vertical roaster and I use Tommy's ring for elevation.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Saber 4

Quote from: OldHickory on December 16, 2013, 02:00:37 PM
Not to be different but what works for me.  Usually the ambient temp. is around 65* with light wind.  After smoke in the Bradley, I cook in the SRG on low with the lid down.  I monitor the temp. in the breast with the Mav. to 165*.  The turkey is on a vertical roaster and I use Tommy's ring for elevation.

Thanks, I went with high heat and lid down to begin with but then remembered the amount of sugar/apple juice in the brine so I opened the lid and went to medium heat and it turned out good, breast got to 175 but looks moist and the thighs got to 164 so they should be good as well.

Saber 4

Here's the turkey out of the Smoker and SRG, next time I'll start out with a medium to low heat and the lid down to keep the sugar's from over browning so quickly. It's resting in the fridge overnight then I'll split off the breasts and thighs and vacuum seal it all up to take to San Antonio for my uncle's Christmas Open House.

I used the fryer stand from my turkey frying rig to make it easier to get the bird out of the SRG basket this time, Cabela's has their turkey stand on sale for 9.99 so I'm going to pick one up later this week so I can get better smoke/heat into the cavity in the future. And yes the skin was crispy and tasty, had to try a little piece.

TedEbear

On my TBE I keep the lid off for most of the cooking time so the turkey doesn't get too dark.  I just put it on the final few minutes to brown the skin, if needed.  Most of the time it does fine without the lid at all.

Also, I bought a hinged basket to help with easier turkey removal over the one that came with it.

Saber 4

I am definitely looking to get a hinged basket down the road.

TMB

You need to keep in mind that the turkey is over half way finished so cooking on low or med low would be better IMHO.   

Not to say I know everything, but when I have finished similar cooks it worked best for me 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Saber 4

Quote from: TMB on December 17, 2013, 01:50:39 PM
You need to keep in mind that the turkey is over half way finished so cooking on low or med low would be better IMHO.   

Not to say I know everything, but when I have finished similar cooks it worked best for me

That's what I'm learning, I should have realized it from the beginning since other posts warned of using high sugar rubs and the brine was pretty high in sugar.

Here it is all cut up and packaged to travel, I even bagged and froze the carcass to make stock after Christmas when things slow down a bit.

TMB

All in all it looks good.  Remember you still have a lot of good cooks ahead of you so keep going and the Bradley and SRG make a great team!

I'm thinking of cook one in my Bradley then finish in my home built pellet SRG  ;)
Can't go wrong there can I  ;D ;D ;D

Saber 4

Quote from: TMB on December 17, 2013, 06:05:07 PM
All in all it looks good.  Remember you still have a lot of good cooks ahead of you so keep going and the Bradley and SRG make a great team!

I'm thinking of cook one in my Bradley then finish in my home built pellet SRG  ;)

Thanks, I tried putting pellets around the Tommy ring but I didn't get much smoke and they didn't "cook" down, is my older model not going to smoke that way?

TMB

Quote from: Saber 4 on December 17, 2013, 06:13:36 PM

Thanks, I tried putting pellets around the Tommy ring but I didn't get much smoke and they didn't "cook" down, is my older model not going to smoke that way?
The best way to get pellets to burn is to put them at the 5 o'clock spot, the 5 o'clock spot is located just right of the controls.  If you open the lid the back is 12 and the very front would be 6 o'clock but you know this. Anyway the 5 o'clock spot is the hottest spot in the SRG because the burner starts there.

Saber 4

Quote from: TMB on December 18, 2013, 05:33:23 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on December 17, 2013, 06:13:36 PM

The best way to get pellets to burn is to put them at the 5 o'clock spot, the 5 o'clock spot is located just right of the controls.  If you open the lid the back is 12 and the very front would be 6 o'clock but you know this. Anyway the 5 o'clock spot is the hottest spot in the SRG because the burner starts there.

That would explain a lot, I had mine from 11 to 1 so I'll try it at 5 tonight on a chicken I'm going to do for dinner. Thanks