Sriracha Sauce Smoked Salt

Started by devo, December 15, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Saw this at another forum. Thought I would give it a try. Heck if I don't like it I can always give it to my son in law. He loves Sriracha sauce.

The ratio is, 1/2 cup of KS, 5 Tsp of Sriracha. I made a double batch. Got it smoking in the bradley @ 80°F for at least 12 hours maybe even longer. Should be interesting how this plays out.

Saber 4

I bet that turns out good, I may have to make some for my dad.

devo

Did I happen to mention its fricken cold out side  :)
Got to love the great white north if your going to live here  ;D

tailfeathers

Yea the cold really threw me for a loop yesterday for a while! Turns out an auber single probe pid won't turn on a heating element if the probe is 14F or colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

And that my friends is why I left Michigan 30 years ago to come home to Texas. ;D

NePaSmoKer

devo

Quote from: tailfeathers on December 15, 2013, 02:53:19 PM
Yea the cold really threw me for a loop yesterday for a while! Turns out an auber single probe pid won't turn on a heating element if the probe is 14F or colder.

Actually its about 30 degrees F that it starts to be a pain. What I do is wrap the probes in my hand till they warm up. Than the unit will kick in and start the element in the smoker. Usually by this time you are good to go with heating the smoker up.

tailfeathers

Yea that's what I ended up doing, holding the probe in my hand til the tower warmed up a bit. I had just put in a  900 watt element on Friday and hooked up the pid, everything worked perfect but the ambient temp was 16F. Yesterday I mixed up 6 lbs of blazin pistachios and couldn't get the element to come on and I was Freaking out! The pid would just beep every time I powered it up. Finally read the part where the pid won't recognize temps below 14F.  Held the probe for a few seconds, voila!

devo

After two full loads in the  A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER of oak/hickory and letting the smoker run all night at a temp of 80 degrees F I peeked in to take a look. Looked like it dried just fine. The bottom rack obviously took on more smoke at least looking at the coffee filters they were darker, if it wasn't so cold out last night I would have got off my butt and rotated the racks  ;) . It has that  Sriracha smell to it with a nice smoke smell also. Had to use my meat grinder plunger/thingee to break it up as it does chunk up. I was worried that it would stick to the filters but it just came right off very easy. Almost like peanut brittle.
So still looking for suggestions as to what I should try this on.  :-\

tailfeathers

Man that looks good, I love sriracha sauce. Another thing to add yo the list. I'm thinking it would be good on boiled and chilled shrimp.

Saber 4

put it in some scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast taco's, it would be great in any stir fry, on homemade French fry's, on a grilled ribeye, the list seems endless for this one.

Bavind

That looks good gonna have to make some up

Consooger

im gonna havta give this a whirl, my brother loves this stuff
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

sage03

Holy smoke Sriracha salt Batman...that looks awesome!