maple powder or maple sugar

Started by laserdoc, December 15, 2013, 06:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserdoc

Habs has been great on some on on one questions but I figure I would through this out to everyone.
Maple powder vs maple sugar vs maple syrup, which would you use while curing your bacon. Which is better and why.
A pound of powder and a pound of the sugar is about the same cost. Is one more concentrated  than the other and how much would you use vs maple syrup .
This would mostly be for bacon and sausage making
Also honey powder vs honey?

Saber 4

I don't have an answer but I am interested in the experts opinions on this one.

devo

I bought a twenty five KG box of  BELMONT CURE - HAM & BACON . It has a maple flavor to it already. The instructions say to mix with water but I have been using maple syrup as my liquid base. I also add some brown sugar to it. It comes out more like a paste and adds extra flavor to my bacon.

NorthShoreMN

If using maple syrup for cooking check around and see if you can get grade B. Darker usually less costly than grade a. I have purchased maple flavored sugar from The Sausage Maker company before.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Tenpoint5

I use both Maple powder and Maple Syrup in my bacon recipe
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

laserdoc

So I guess what I'm seeing is that there may be no difference in maple powder vs maple sugar ?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: laserdoc on December 16, 2013, 03:28:51 AM
So I guess what I'm seeing is that there may be no difference in maple powder vs maple sugar ?
Maple powder will be more condensed flavor wont need as much as you would maple sugar. I would say the powder is better as I also use it to flavor breakfast sausage
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

laserdoc

Thanks,
If a recipe calls for 1/4 cup of maple syrup and I use maple powder instead,,,,would I use the same 1/4 cup or less of the powder