First Cheese Smoke

Started by UncleAl, December 23, 2013, 02:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on December 30, 2013, 08:21:09 AM
Wow. Smoking cheese seems like such an incredibly simple and awesome idea.

Do you guys pretty much just buy your favourite cheese off the grocery store shelf and go for it?
I've also noted how long you guys say to leave the cheese in the fridge afterwards to bloom (is that the correct terminology? Haha). How do you keep the cheese from moulding if you don't have a vacuum sealer? Or does the smoke naturally preserve it?

Thanks!

Boxcar, I think most folks use a good grocery store cheese for smoking cheese.  For cheddar, I like the Tilamook sharp cheddar, but have used others with good success.  For Gouda, I use the Costco Gouda.  Pretty much, if you like the cheese, you'll probably like the cheese smoked.

The smoke does provide some natural preservative.  But, the key is preventing the air contact that is necessary for mold growth.  Some options, in order of declining effectiveness, are seal in melted wax, vacuum seal, wrap in plastic wrap, seal in zipper bag with air removed.  Most forum members opt for vacuum sealing and are able to refrigerate their cheese for a year or more without problems.

BoxcarBetts

Thanks for the advice tskeeter!

I just picked up some medium white cheddar and some Monterey Jack. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes! I don't have anything to vacuum seal, so I think I'll wrap it in Saran Wrap and then stick it in a Ziploc bag with the air removed.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

Grouperman941

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on December 30, 2013, 12:03:12 PM
Thanks for the advice tskeeter!

I just picked up some medium white cheddar and some Monterey Jack. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes! I don't have anything to vacuum seal, so I think I'll wrap it in Saran Wrap and then stick it in a Ziploc bag with the air removed.

Wrap then Ziploc works fine. If you just wrap, it works but the smoke smell escapes and permeates the whole fridge.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

pokermeister

I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I double wrap in plastic wrap (as tight as possible), and then put it in a ziploc bag. Only had mold once, and that was a quarter size spot after sitting 6 months in fridge. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

4given

Quote from: pokermeister on January 07, 2014, 11:01:26 AM
I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I double wrap in plastic wrap (as tight as possible), and then put it in a ziploc bag. Only had mold once, and that was a quarter size spot after sitting 6 months in fridge. Hope this helps.

I have been doing the same. Seems to work well and is way less expensive.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Snoopy

depending on what your gonna do with the cheese i would also recco' cutting it. I get the 10 oz blocks of cooper usually and slice em down the middle length wise to get more surface area for the smoke, 2 reasons for that cut though. 1- perfect size squares for crackers, 2- i use one of the halves per loaf of crusty bread when i make it. looks great though and enjoy...eventually lol. oh and i didn't see if anyone said it but as one who has done it; if you want to make sure to wait the month or so, go ahead and give it a taste the day you smoke it, you will never wait less then a 3-4 weeks again.

iceman

"go ahead and give it a taste the day you smoke it, you will never wait less then a 3-4 weeks again." ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D

Jkwellborn

Quote from: iceman on January 10, 2014, 10:10:33 AM
"go ahead and give it a taste the day you smoke it, you will never wait less then a 3-4 weeks again." ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D

The only time I have made it, I ate some either the day I did it or the next day. My wife ate the rest of it  in a couple of days.

Snoopy

how long did you smoke for, i put 2 hours on it now and the taste is fricken horrendous right out the gate.

Jkwellborn

Quote from: Snoopy on January 15, 2014, 08:03:18 PM
how long did you smoke for, i put 2 hours on it now and the taste is fricken horrendous right out the gate.

A couple of hours best I can remember. It's been close to a year. I've only done it once. I'm pretty sure I used mesquite. I'm thinking that's the only one I had. Might have been hickory. It was kinda stout and a little bitter if I remember.  My wife ate it up though.