750W element?

Started by cbptls, December 23, 2013, 06:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbptls

Hi,
So I have decided to smoke for Christmas Eve party and as it happened to me after having smoker for 3 months, heating element went out again after 3-4 smoke sessions.  So I have been looking at 900W/Dual element upgrades and I came across this 750W http://www.grainger.com/product/TEMPCO-Heater-2XEF7.  Mounting points are at 13" which is very close to factory length.  Has anyone tried this element and if so, were you happy with it and it's durability?  Thanks!

Alanfromwis

Haven't used this one, but looking at description, it is 2" longer than the 950 watt Model CSF00131, which would not fit inside the bottom heat deflector. Also you would be increasing current draw by 50% that I doubt the stock controller could handle so you would still need a PID.
  The list price on the 750 watt is about $4.00 more than the 950 watt. Having said that, it could be made to work.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

beefmann

i run the  900 watt element in the same brand and have for a  good 6 to 7 years and still  going  strong,,, the  750 watt element will produce less heat then the  900 watt  though  more then the 500 watt  stock  element,,, if you  think you should do the up grade, wait till the warranty period is over then  do the  mod,,, it  is well worth the extra heat

tailfeathers

I did the 900 watt mod and run it with a single probe auber pid. I've only used it a couple times since doing it but so far I can say that I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cbptls

Thanks for your replies.  My idea behind this 750w is that since its longer, I should be able to fit it in without having to make a bracket thats needed for 900w with heatshield holding it in place.   

Alanfromwis

I think your right about about the mounting, but it looks like the fins on the element won't fit inside the lower heat shield. If so, that would require modifying the heat shield or the fins on both ends. But I may be wrong about this as I have not seen a 750 watt except in pictures.   
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

beefmann

Quote from: cbptls on December 26, 2013, 05:55:28 PM
Thanks for your replies.  My idea behind this 750w is that since its longer, I should be able to fit it in without having to make a bracket thats needed for 900w with heatshield holding it in place.   

if it is 14 inch in length it will  fit, inside measurement of the box is 15 inch, also an easy way to  mount the heater is use 2   5 /16 bolts by 1 1/2 long .. along  with 3 nuts on  each. and  2 washers for  each.. drill a hole through the  back of the cabinet where  needed,,  place a  washer on the  bolt slide it to the  end,,, slide it through the  hole add another  washer then a nut,,, tighten  snugly,, add on another   nut far  enough to mount the element and  other  nut and mount the  heater and  last  bolt  .. tighten.

tailfeathers

I used the method Beefman described to mount my 900w element, it worked perfect. I put a steel spacer sleeve between the back wall and element ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!