It's a Canadian Bacon kinda Christmas!!!

Started by 4given, December 24, 2013, 12:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Made some Canadian Bacon using Habanero Smokers dry rub recipe! Turned out fantastic!

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

KyNola

ragweed

Looks great!!  Gonna have to find a P. loin and make some for me.

Saber 4

That's some good looking CB, the wife says I have to start wrapping mine in frogmats to get the little grid lines.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: ragweed on December 24, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

Another great cut of pork to use for hillbilly bacon and CB is pork cushion meat. It's virtually all meat, tender and makes a lean HBB. I found them at Restaurant Depot in a cryovac 3-pack. They are less expensive than either a loin or butt. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

ragweed

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 25, 2013, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: ragweed on December 24, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

Another great cut of pork to use for hillbilly bacon and CB is pork cushion meat. It's virtually all meat, tender and makes a lean HBB. I found them at Restaurant Depot in a cryovac 3-pack. They are less expensive than either a loin or butt. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

I'm not familiar with term "pork cushion meat".  Is it called anything else that I might recognize?

Salmonsmoker

I've only heard it called cushion meat. It comes from the pork shoulder picnic from the anterior side of the humerous bone. If you google cushion meat pork you'll get a better explanation than I've given.

ragweed

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 25, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
I've only heard it called cushion meat. It comes from the pork shoulder picnic from the anterior side of the humerous bone. If you google cushion meat pork you'll get a better explanation than I've given.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

PapaC

Looks awesome! It's definitely on my short list to try.
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Northern_Smoke

Looks like it turned out perfect. I like the idea of wrapping it in the frog mat too!
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

4given

The frog mat keeps it round and looking good. I think it might help it cook more uniformly too.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Salmonsmoker

All this time we've all been thinking the marks on the smoked meats at the butcher were made by some commercially available netting. I for one didn't know that the commercial producers were wrapping their meats in frog mats. Go figure. :o :o