salmon question

Started by tailfeathers, December 25, 2013, 07:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Must be done by now. How did ya do?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

tailfeathers

It turned out better than I had hoped. Delicious!!! It's in a ziplock in the fridge til morning then I'll zip seal it. I'll post some pics. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! LOVE these forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pikeman_95

Great !!
I am glad that it worked out well. Now that you have some great smoked salmon in the fridge can I give you a couple of suggestions for some of it. Try a Cesar salad with crumbled Salmon on top. My grand daughter just loves it. The second is mince some up and mix it with a cube of cream cheese a few chopped up onions and then roll in some crushed walnuts. A smoked salmon ball that is made with some like you have now is just so much better then what you can find in the store.

tailfeathers

Thanks, that salad looks fantastic!

tailfeathers

Well I vac sealed most of the salmon this morning. Here is a shot of the finished product before sealing.on the left is maple and creole (Tony Chachere's) on the right. There was also a small rack of the thinner and odd size pieces that was done with cayenne but unfortunately the photographic evidence exists only in the smoker pic from the earlier post, it was consumed prior to the final photo session.

tailfeathers

Well I vac sealed most of the salmon this morning. Here is a shot of the finished product before sealing.on the left is maple and creole (Tony Chachere's) on the right. There was also a small rack of the thinner and odd size pieces that was done with cayenne but unfortunately the photographic evidence exists only in the smoker pic from the earlier post, it was consumed prior to the final photo session.

pmmpete

A minor suggestion:  when you take fish out of a smoker, don't put it in a plastic bag, because you'll get a lot of condensation in the bag as the fish cools.  Put the fish on a plate in your refrigerator to cool down and dry out for about 12 hours before you vacuum pack it.

Another easy but tasty recipe is to crumble up some smoked salmon and mix it into an omelette with some chopped green pepper or zucchini.

KyNola

Quote from: pmmpete on December 27, 2013, 10:20:12 AM
A minor suggestion:  when you take fish out of a smoker, don't put it in a plastic bag, because you'll get a lot of condensation in the bag as the fish cools.  Put the fish on a plate in your refrigerator to cool down and dry out for about 12 hours before you vacuum pack it.
Yep.  I use a raised wire rack or even a Bradley rack turned upside to place the smoked fish on in the frig to dry as pmmpete suggested.

Kummok

Another possible "post-smoker" method that has worked well for me for years is to slid the pieces directly into a large Ziploc bag (I use gallon size) and put directly into the freezer (unless your batch is especially soft/moist). I then let it sit there for a while, 1-5 days, and then reduce it to smaller portions that get vac-sealed and back into the freezer. The smoke flavor that I love seems to permeate the meat better and actually tastes better to me than it does right outta the smoker.
Doing that right now, to take a large batch down to the Cook Islands this Saturday, and it will all go down in a large Ziploc as frozen baggage...drives the airport drug dogs insane so I always allow extra "early arrival before departure" time!

This method is for my small bite sized pieces and I wouldn't recommend it for larger pieces and full slabs......