First time doing the sausage thing

Started by RedJada, December 25, 2013, 08:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

My grinder/stuffer will be here tomorrow. Been searching on what to do first. It's looks like an Italian sausage is pretty easy and looking at KevinG's sticky here, looks easy enough. I'll proably use the  Hi Mountain Italian Sausage Kit as well. But also saw this on YouTube. I have to think he is referring to our viper125? http://youtu.be/hZ9qTxE7qK8  So may try this as well.

So, a couple questions. On the casings. Do you tie the ends or just twist them? And to make links, I'm guessing you just twist once stuffed at desired lengths? Any tips/tricks as to stuffing to prevent blow outs/air pockets?

Thanks

GusRobin

If I use natural casings, I just leave a bit at the end and tie a knot. If collagen casings I tie with butcher string.

Yes just twist at desired intervals, alternating the direction of the twist.

To minimize air, put the casing all the way on the tube. Crank the stuffer until the meat "peeks" out of the end of the tube. Then pull the casing over it and tie a knot and crank away.

I either spray the outside of the tube with Pam or rub a bit of the meat on the tube to lubricate the tube before putting the casing on the tube.

Go slow, and make sure that the casing is near at the end of the tube when you start stuffing.

Good luck, and it won't take long before you get the hang of it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: GusRobin on December 25, 2013, 08:48:55 AM
If I use natural casings, I just leave a bit at the end and tie a knot. If collagen casings I tie with butcher string.

Yes just twist at desired intervals, alternating the direction of the twist.

To minimize air, put the casing all the way on the tube. Crank the stuffer until the meat "peeks" out of the end of the tube. Then pull the casing over it and tie a knot and crank away.

I either spray the outside of the tube with Pam or rub a bit of the meat on the tube to lubricate the tube before putting the casing on the tube.

Go slow, and make sure that the casing is near at the end of the tube when you start stuffing.

Good luck, and it won't take long before you get the hang of it.

If I might, I'd like to give you a different "twist" on making the links. Butchers use this method. From the first tied end, measure the first link and pinch it there with fingers on one hand. Hold the pinch and measure the second link, pinching with fingers of your other hand. Spin the link between your hands several revolutions to make the link. Measure the 3rd link and pinch, measure the 4th link, pinch and spin. By spinning every second link you're also twisting the end of the previous link. You don't need to twist the links in opposite directions as it doesn't serve any purpose. It's much faster because you don't have to keep turning the whole sausage length as you work your way from one end to the other.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

renoman

Use as large a stuffing tube that will fit in your casings and use a large needle to poke any air bubbles that may be in the links. You can't poke too much.

RedJada

Quote from: renoman on December 26, 2013, 08:39:12 AM
Use as large a stuffing tube that will fit in your casings and use a large needle to poke any air bubbles that may be in the links. You can't poke too much.

What do you consider a large needle? Everything I have seen looks like a sewing type needle to got the are bubbles out.

Salmonsmoker

It's actually called a sausage prick. It's a little plastic handle about 1" wide that has 3 needles side by side in it for poking the casing to let air escape but tiny so the sausage doesn't squeeze out.

RedJada

I see, probably a good idea to have something like this on hand for my first try. Still thinking on the Hi Mountain Italian sausage kit. But seems kinda rare, Looks like I may have to order direct from Hi Mountain.

Cheech

Dude...I beg you...skip the Hi Mountain thing and order Bruce Aidells complete book of sausage making.  You can get the book for under 20 bucks.  In that book you will see everything you need to know about making sausage...complete with recipes for more types of sausages than you could imagine. 

Making your own Italian sausage with fresh ingredients will make a world of difference over buying a prepackaged seasoning pack.  I was given that book years ago and every recipe in it has been a huge hit. 

Salmonsmoker

Here's a link to a previous post from squirtthecat with Len Poli sausage recipes. These are all great recipes  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22024.0

renoman

This is a fantastic Italian sausage recipe. I follow it to  a tee but add 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes for so zip. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-mild-italian-sausage-recipe/index.html

RedJada

Good looking recipes and advice. Sal, that's a lot of sausage.

Another question, I also have been searching for an Italian sausage recipe. Some call for cure #1 some don't call for cure at all. What's the deal behind that?

Saber 4

Quote from: RedJada on December 27, 2013, 03:11:27 PM

Another question, I also have been searching for an Italian sausage recipe. Some call for cure #1 some don't call for cure at all. What's the deal behind that?

As far as I understand it with cure #1 you can smoke the sausage without and it is "fresh" sausage to be grilled, pan fried or some other high heat cooking method. If I'm wrong in my understanding someone far wiser will correct it.

renoman

Without the cure your sausage will be "fresh" and you will have to cook it in a couple days or freeze it.

RedJada

Quote from: renoman on December 28, 2013, 09:48:05 AM

Without the cure your sausage will be "fresh" and you will have to cook it in a couple days or freeze it.

Thats what I was thinking. Stuff, cook, eat and freeze the rest. Defrost as needed and cook and eat. Does this go for say like , polish, brats, etc... as well? Or are those types of sausage a different critter?

Saber 4

Should work for any type of fresh sausage.