First time doing the sausage thing

Started by RedJada, December 25, 2013, 08:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmonsmoker

You only need to let the casings soak for 1/2 hr.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

RedJada

At first I had a hard time threading the casings onto the tube. Maybe it was the way I handled them. They were all twisted up. Once I figured that part out I straighten them out as I threaded and had no problems. Everything is stuffed but ran into an issue. I will explain as you view the photos.

I started with the large tube and ended up switching to the smaller tube. This is because of the hard time I had loading the casings. But I figured out that problem and switched back to the larger tube. Notice the texture difference in the stuffing on top compared to the coil. 

Your looking at the reason for the texture difference. Using a stuffing plate with too small of openings. It got plugged up but I didn't realize that until I cleaned everything up.

Stuffing done. Into the fridge for a rest.

Twisted into links and back in the fridge for a bit. (Before I twisted, I used a toothpick and poked a hole about every two inches.) Then cut and vacuum pack.

Here is the finished sample. Flavor is great but does have that hotdog texture. I blame that on not having the proper stuffing plate.

I'm going to write up my first sausage making as a success. And that's entirely from the help I received here. A big thanks for all the help. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it. I have learned a lot from all of you. I do have some questions but think I will start a new thread for that. Now, I have some vac packaging to do. Thanks again.

Patrick

Salmonsmoker

Great job RJ! Once you get a sausage stuffer(with this success I don't think it will be long) it'll get even easier. I think we hooked another one folks.  ;D ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

ragweed

Congratulations on your first go at sausage!  And, my condolences to any other hobbies you might have had.   ;) ;)

Saber 4

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on January 05, 2014, 04:36:25 PM
Great job RJ! Once you get a sausage stuffer(with this success I don't think it will be long) it'll get even easier. I think we hooked another one folks.  ;D ;D

I can see a stuffer in your future, that's a nice job on the sausage stuffing especially using the grinder plate you had to use.

pjplovedog

Yep, there's a stuffer with your name on it somewhere!! 
Great job on your first sausages!  Those casings can be a little rascally until you get the hang of it.  I always stuff mine when I'm feeling...well...not impatient.  Which can be a rare moment. 
I recently ordered some pre-tubed casings from Syracuse casing.  They slip right onto the stuffer.  I tried some pre-tubed from another supplier and they were the toughest casings I have ever tasted.  Made both smoked and fresh sausages and they were TERRIBLE. We had to peel them off.   I previously always had the regular, twisty type and they were nice and tender, albeit frustrating to get onto the stuffer.  So, I'm giving this one more try from another supplier.
Thanks for the photos.  I am sure the stuffer will solve your texture concerns. 
PJP