First smoke - cheese and eggs

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, December 28, 2013, 02:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Hey folks, looking forward to a long relationship here swapping stories and recipes.  My name is Don and I live in the Ottawa, Canada area.  My wife Jann surprised me with a Bradley 4 shelf digital smoker for Christmas, I've been here reading and getting tips ever since.

Today I did my first smoke, some various types of cheese and some hard boiled eggs which Jann is going to turn into smoked devilled eggs.  The cheese types were extra old cheddar, gouda, havarti and vegetable havarti, the month wait is going to be hard. I smoked both the cheese and eggs for 2 hours with some apple smoke.  I also started about 10 pounds of pork loin in the dry cure to smoke next weekend for my supply of bacon.

Tomorrow I'm off to pick up a brisket for some montreal smoked meat, a piece of salmon and maybe some pork ribs.  I can already tell this is going to be an addicting hobby.

Here's some snaps of my cheese and eggs.  Cheers.
Don

Slamdunk

Looking good!
I just did smoked devilled eggs for the first time to take to a party as an appy and they were very good! I got a few strange looks when I told people they were smoked but many compliments after people tried them.
After boiling the eggs, I cut the eggs in half to get more smoke in the yolk and found that the yolk was a bit dry, but with the mayo, cream cheese additions, they moistened up a bit and weren't dry when eating.
Hope you enjoy yours.

Saber 4

Looks good and welcome to the forum from Texas

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  I got some strange looks when I first made smoked eggs too, but now that's the only way we'll make deviled eggs.

UncleAl

Welcome from Michigan - that is some good looking cheese

Jkwellborn

Welcome from east Texas. Looks good.