Almonds?

Started by TNRockyraccoon, December 30, 2013, 07:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

I'm looking for tips for smoking almonds.

What's the best way to prep (seasoning the almonds) before they go into the smoker? What temps should I shoot for and how much smoke should I put to them?

Thanks for any tips.

tskeeter

Rocky, the one time I smoked almonds, I wasn't too happy with them.  They didn't seem to pick up much smoke flavor.  Dear wife liked them, though.

I think the problem I ran in to was that almonds aren't as oily as some other nuts.  What I thought I might try when I do almonds again is to given them a spritz of cooking spray and a good stir to apply a light coating of oil to the nuts before smoking.

Using a puck with a more robust flavor, such as hickory, might help, too.  I use apple the last time.

I think I probably used a temp of 225F and applied about an hour or so of smoke.  If the smoke turns out to be too light for your taste, remember you can always put the nuts back in the smoker and give them another shot of smoke.

By the way, I found that if I let nuts rest for a week or so before eating, I liked the flavor better. 

Grouperman941

I smoke raw almonds with nuthin'.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

The recipe contained in the below link works well.
Smoked Almond

I just made a four pound batch of smoked mixed nut, and for the first time I used egg whites to help the spices and sugar adhere to the nuts. The wet surface also improve the amount of smoke the nuts picked up.

For every two pounds of nuts I used two egg whites mixed with two teaspoons of water. First beat the egg whites until they become foamy and there is no liquid at the bottom of the bowl; add the water and continue to beat until the egg whites form soft peaks and there is no water on the bottom of the bowl. Coat the nuts with the egg mixture, and then add the spices and mix well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jim O

I follow the "Smoked Almonds" recipe and they're always a big hit! I do about 3# at a time and they sure don't last long !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

tailfeathers

I use the egg white method as well. I usually add the almonds and spices then refrigerate for an hour or so. Spread on frog mats and smoke at 200-225F until dry, usually a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

I'm at work and don't have the recipe here but I also have one for honey smoked almonds that has honey, maple syrup, melted butter and cinnamon. That one gets refrigerated a bit longer before smoking but it's really good. I'll try to post it when I get home.

TNRockyraccoon

Thanks for all the recipes and tips. I'll be doing some of them soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

Found the recipes. 
Honey smoked, for 3# almonds.
6oz honey
1/2 cup each brown sugar, melted butter and real maple syrup
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cinnamon 
Mix ingredients well and stir into 3 lbs almonds in a large bowl. Refrigerate 6 hrs stirring occasionally. Spread onto sprayed frog mats, smoke at 200-225 degrees until dry, 2-3 hrs rotate racks to keep almonds baking evenly

tailfeathers

Smoked almonds for 3 lbs
3 egg whites
1.5 tsp liquid smoke
6 tsp each garlic powder and celery salt
3 T sea salt
Beat egg whites and add spices, stir into 3 lbs almonds in large bowl. Refrigerate 1 hr, stir and spread on sprayed frog mats. Smoke at 200-225F until dry, about 2 hrs. Rotate racks for even roasting

Habanero Smoker

I placed the nuts directly into the smoker while the egg whites are still moist, and find there is no need for liquid smoke. Applied 1:20 hour of smoke rotating the racks every 20 minutes; bottom to top and shift the others down one. After applying smoke, I place them in a preheated 300°F oven for 20 -  30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)