Packaging Bacon

Started by rcger, December 21, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I've got 25 pounds of cured belly that will come out of the smoker later this evening.  I'll be slicing it up tomorrow.  Does anyone have any suggestions for any material I could use to put the bacon on after slicing?  I'd like to just be able to slide it into my vacuum bags.  I'm sure I could find some foam like they use in commercial bacon, but I don't have the time now.  I was hoping there was something else I could use that's readily available.  Thanks in advance.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

tailfeathers

I would think that you could cut pieces of wax paper just slightly smaller than the size of your vacuum bags. Put your sliced bacon on the wax paper, slide it into the bags. I would then lay them flat in a freezer until about 3/4 frozen then vac and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on December 21, 2013, 12:50:14 PM
I would think that you could cut pieces of wax paper just slightly smaller than the size of your vacuum bags. Put your sliced bacon on the wax paper, slide it into the bags. I would then lay them flat in a freezer until about 3/4 frozen then vac and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same lines I was thinking, I would use cooking parchment paper cause that's what we have on hand for cookies.

wkahler

I slice mine and then have the wife put in the vac bags like u see it at the store and then i vacuum seal it and toss it in the freezer.  I have never had an issue with it coming out after it thaws out totally.  If u try and take it out when it is still slightly frozen it sticks together. 
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

tskeeter

For packaging things similar to your bacon, I use a long metal spatula that I got from a restaurant supply house to slide the meat into the vac bag.  (Spatula blade is about 6 inches long.)  Arrange meat on a cutting board, slide the spatula under the meat, slip into the bag, a finger on the end of the meat, and pull the spatula out of the bag.  Throw the spatula in the diswasher to clean.  Easy, peasy.

wkahler

Quote from: tskeeter on December 29, 2013, 09:47:05 AM
For packaging things similar to your bacon, I use a long metal spatula that I got from a restaurant supply house to slide the meat into the vac bag.  (Spatula blade is about 6 inches long.)  Arrange meat on a cutting board, slide the spatula under the meat, slip into the bag, a finger on the end of the meat, and pull the spatula out of the bag.  Throw the spatula in the dishwasher to clean.  Easy, peasy.
About the same thing i do except minus the spatula!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

beefmann

wax paper, food grade paper, then into vacuum bags and seal them

cgaengineer

I roll each piece with plastic wrap, add a piece, roll, add a piece roll until you get the amount you want to freeze. I don't vac seal because we eat it too fast.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.