OK, what's wrong with me?

Started by Grouperman941, December 09, 2013, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

While most of you were waiting for the ice storm last week, I was getting worried it would not get cold enough here to smoke cheese to give out for Christmas.

Saturday morning, it was below 70 at wake-up, so I went for it.

I was able to get 2 hours of hickory on 5 kinds of cheese. It got to 90 at the very end, but I didn't really get any melt. I used ice in the bowl and a frozen juice container. I have wax coming this week to make them look nice.

After getting dried off, they posed for a group shot --  3 kinds of Wellsley Farms Cheddar, and jack and pepper jack from Green Bay Cheese.

I tried each one, as I always do, for comparison's sake. I thought they were great! Especially the extra sharp cheddar. I can't wait to taste them after 3 weeks.

I was burping smoke rings all afternoon.  ;D

It has to get much colder before I can try spyguy's lox recipe.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

TedEbear

Everything looks great.

I did my first cold smoke last night with some cheese.  It was 26*F, so I wasn't too concerned about the heat.  I kept an ET-732 monitoring the chamber temp just in case.  At one point it got up to close to 80*F so I went out and discovered that my pellet tube had a flame going, which I snuffed back out.

I did 1.5 hours of hickory.  Most of mine was cheddar and I've read that cheddar is ready to eat after 26-28 days. 

carnie1

Quote from: Grouperman941 on December 09, 2013, 09:07:05 AM
While most of you were waiting for the ice storm last week, I was getting worried it would not get cold enough here to smoke cheese to give out for Christmas.

Saturday morning, it was below 70 at wake-up, so I went for it.

I was able to get 2 hours of hickory on 5 kinds of cheese. It got to 90 at the very end, but I didn't really get any melt. I used ice in the bowl and a frozen juice container. I have wax coming this week to make them look nice.

After getting dried off, they posed for a group shot --  3 kinds of Wellsley Farms Cheddar, and jack and pepper jack from Green Bay Cheese.

I tried each one, as I always do, for comparison's sake. I thought they were great! Especially the extra sharp cheddar. I can't wait to taste them after 3 weeks.

I was burping smoke rings all afternoon.  ;D

It has to get much colder before I can try spyguy's lox recipe. 

I winter in south florida and do cheese and lox anytime, I usually wait for cooler weather but you can keep temps down by making yourself some large blocks of ice using meatloaf tins, leave ice in tins and put a few of them in and it will keep temps down, I've done cheese and lox when its been in the 80s using this method and its worked fine for me

zueth

I think you will find that the cheese takes on the smoke better if you cut it into smaller chunks. I will normally cut a brick into 8 pieces

Ka Honu

The more surface area, the more smoke. I usually smoke in 8-ounce blocks and find it works well.  Also a good size for packaging.

viper125

I prefer 1" thick blocks no matter how big the lengths. Usually cut into 4-8 oz. blocks. 80% or better of the smoke will remain close to the out side of the cheese no matter what. So I find the more surface the better the cheese. Also requires less time smoking, and less time aging the smoke.
I use an alternative means to smoke so temp doesn't matter. But apply 95-110 degrees of heat simply to achieve color and the smooth smoked appearance.
Cheese doesn't need 3-4 months to age if done correctly. And a thin piece just dont need as much. Now this is my opinion. But also all my family and kids agree.
In fact if i need it quicker. I set my slicer to a thin film and slice all the surface off  a little at a time. Then cut the rest for eating. The thin stuff i eat as i prefer tons of smoke. LOL! But the rest every one enjoys. Just call me ye of little patience.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Grouperman941

Quote from: zueth on January 11, 2014, 10:13:09 AM
I think you will find that the cheese takes on the smoke better if you cut it into smaller chunks. I will normally cut a brick into 8 pieces

These are 6 oz pieces. I have done 4. Not sure I'd want smaller, though I do not doubt what you're saying.

I do like many cheeses right out of the smoker though! :-)
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Snoopy

Quote from: Grouperman941 on January 11, 2014, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: zueth on January 11, 2014, 10:13:09 AM

These are 6 oz pieces. I have done 4. Not sure I'd want smaller, though I do not doubt what you're saying.

I do like many cheeses right out of the smoker though! :-)

more power to ya, i think i just threw up a little in my mouth though from my exp lol

zueth

Exactly they taste like a ash tray to me right out of smoker. I don't even try them until 4 weeks minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedEbear

We tasted the results from my first attempt at cold smoking cheese yesterday.  4 different varieties had been vacuum sealed in the fridge for nearly 5 weeks. I'd smoked them for 1.5 hours with hickory and my new A-MAZE-N pellet tube.  My wife and a family friend both said it was the best cheese they ever had.   :)