HillBilly Jerky Questions

Started by nasels, December 31, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasels

I have some london briol cut to make some of NEPA'a Hillbilly jerky. Just a couple of mostly curiosity questions:
Why non-iodized salt?
Why distilled water?

The not curiosity question--- I have no cure #1 and plan to use cure from Hi-Mountain kits. I suppose I would use the required amount of cure they list for 5lb of muscle meat. I also got regular soy and not low sodium.

Waiting for reply(ies) before I mix and marinate. Can't wait to taste the hillbilly jerky.

pensrock

I'll take a stab at answering a couple of your questions.
Why non-iodized salt?
Why distilled water?
Both the same answer..... to avoid the posibility of an odd taste. With clorine added to water and really who knows what else why take the chance? A bottle of spring water is really cheap. Now you may own one of those good filters that would be great or you can even just use your tap water but that is what Rick chooses to do. I do the same as he does. Granted you never really know where the bottled water is coming from either.  ::)

I have never used any of the Hi-Mountian kits or any other kind of kit so I do not know what they provide so I will not comment.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: pensrock on January 01, 2014, 06:18:12 AM
Why non-iodized salt?
Why distilled water?
Both the same answer..... to avoid the posibility of an odd taste. With clorine added to water and really who knows what else why take the chance? A bottle of spring water is really cheap. Now you may own one of those good filters that would be great or you can even just use your tap water but that is what Rick chooses to do. I do the same as he does. Granted you never really know where the bottled water is coming from either.  ::)

I have never used any of the Hi-Mountian kits or any other kind of kit so I do not know what they provide so I will not comment.
If your tap water is good, running it through a Brita type filter is sufficient. Water in some areas has high mineral content and can lead to off flavors even if it's not chlorinated. I grew up in an area(well water) that had high iron content in the water. We all have strong teeth and bones, but you couldn't even make a drinkable cup of coffee with it.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

nasels

Makes sense, never thought of it that way..... thanks. Yea I imagine most bottle water is just out of somebody's tap down the road :)

carnie1

Quote from: pensrock on January 01, 2014, 06:18:12 AM
Why non-iodized salt?
Why distilled water?

C'mon Pens, only 3 more posts for 5K, go for it !!

pensrock

You noticed that did ya? I been working on it.  ;D