Essential Accessories?

Started by TNRockyraccoon, January 01, 2014, 12:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

Having just bought my first Bradley Smoker, I was kindly at a loss in figuring out what other tools I might need.

I found I needed a bunch of other items to make my smoking more pleasureful and productive.

What are some items and tools you can not do without when preparing, smokings, eating food you've made in your Bradley?

DTJ

A PID to control the temp in the smoker and frog mats to go on your racks. Makes them much easier to clean, you can purchase them from Yard and Pool. Those are some of the first I would go with.

Fireguy06

A good wireless thermometer long sleeved bbq gloves
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

TNRockyraccoon

These are perfect for shredding pork butts by hand. Quick and easy without needing oven mitts.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/133651-just-grillin-barbecue-grilling-claws.html

GusRobin

Before you go buying a bunch of stuff or mod your unit, do some cooks in it. As you go along you will see things that you would like to do different or wish you had a "tool" for. Then post some questions on what you want to accomplish and others can give you better ideas of what you should have. Otherwise you will end up with some stuff you don't need ( don't ask how I know).
I would invest in a decent remote thermometer so you don't have to keep opening the door.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Jkwellborn

I'd get a thermometer. I wouldn't change anything till after you cooked with it some. If it's gonna sit outside, I'd get a cover

beefmann

do a  few  smokes,

I recommend the following

1) remote thermometer like the  et 732 or et 733
2) good pair of high temp rubber gloves that are food grade quality
3) frog mats
4) puck savers
5) tub to pre soak your racks and v tray in to get the  bulk of the grease off
6) if you want  tighter temps in your  smoker an auber  pid ( digital temperature controller )

tskeeter

What do you guys think about putting together a list of suggested accessories for people with various levels of smoking experience and seeing if we can get those lists pinned at the top of the accessories forum?

I'm proposing this as a starting point.

Stage 1 - the new smoker
Smoker cover (if you will be storing your smoker outdoors)
Wireless remote thermometer (many forum members use the Maverick et732 or the newer 733, several other brands are also available)
Puck savers, three
Frog mats
Gloves, rubber, heat resistant, food grade
Putty knife, metal (to scrape residue off puck burner)
Plastic storage bins (to store bisquettes)
Sheet pans/jelly roll pans,  approx. 13 X 18 (having two or three rimmed sheet pans is handy)
Heavy duty extension cord with 12 gauge wire (if you will need to use an extension cord; keep cord as short as possible)
Recipes - www.susanminor.org (Our TimeTested and Proven Recipes)

Stage 2 - Sausage Meister
Temperature controller/PID (some folks use the plug and play version of the Auber PID, others build their own controller)
Smoke sticks (to hang sausage in smoker)
Sausage stuffer
Turkey roaster, 22 qt. (to finish cooking sausage in a hot water bath)
Jerky gun, to make ground meat jerky, also useful for breakfast sausage

Stage 3 - Expand your repertoire
Cold smoker attachment

Stage 4 - Permanent smoker station
Garden/storage shed

Stage 5 - is there a stage five?

Saber 4

I'm sure with this addiction there are many more stages to build upon. I like your list and it's a good idea.

ragweed

mevswild

I highly agree with GusRobin
At first from reading ad much as I could on the form I was feeling like I couldn't smoke without all the accessories people were talking about. Start with a few simple smokes and move on from there! I finally just got my ET 733 and am quite happy as I feel like I'm ready to tackle some bigger pieces of meat now
But also because I'm more comfortable with the Bradley itself from my uses!

tskeeter

Quote from: mevswild on January 02, 2014, 10:47:42 AM
I highly agree with GusRobin
At first from reading ad much as I could on the form I was feeling like I couldn't smoke without all the accessories people were talking about. Start with a few simple smokes and move on from there! I finally just got my ET 733 and am quite happy as I feel like I'm ready to tackle some bigger pieces of meat now
But also because I'm more comfortable with the Bradley itself from my uses!

Good suggestion.  Any accessories list should be preceded by a suggestion that the reader approach smoking as a hobby that you grow in to.  And that the accessories suggestions are things to consider purchasing over a period of time as the reader gains more experience.  Just the way each of us has approached accumulating our smoking accessory kits.

I see accessory lists as a bit of a problem solving key (and a potential gift list for the smoker's spouse).  Each accessory is on the list because we have found it helpful in making our smoking easier and more enjoyable.  In that vein, I think it is important to try to put the lists in the order that we suggest any purchases be made.  That is, the first or second purchase for the beginning smoker should probably be an appropriate extension cord.  Everything else probably comes after an extension cord and a smoker cover, if the smoker needs either of those items.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BAM1

I personally like making jerky so a good jerky gun.  Not one of those cheap plastic ones but a good metal one.  Also works great when you get into sausage making for brealkfest links.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ