E-mail to Bradley Technologies

Started by renoman, January 02, 2014, 08:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcw1

To echo Renoman,  if NePaSmoKer is not using a PID, we may have our answer!

renoman

Quote from: dcw1 on January 03, 2014, 07:55:28 AM
It seems that the scales are tipping to larger elements not necessarily burning out the original controls.  There still is need for some caution but it does not appear that a blanket prohibition is in order.  Especially if you look at a 750-watt element.

Now, the real answer here is for someone to do what has been recommended by many to me---slap her in there and tell us what happens.  But, I am not such a fool that would try that on a brand new X-Mas gift.  I still want my original controls.

So, the real heroes here could be those that have a PID!  You aren't using your original controls!  So you TEST IT with your old controls that are essentially worthless to you anyway.  Who cares if the old controls zap out?  You aren't using them anyway.  So, what's the harm?  I say this with all sincerity and I certainly don't want anything to catch on fire.  I suspect the first thing that would happen is a blown fuse. 

So, be a hero.  If you aren't using the original controls, unhook your PID and re-hook the originals.  And bake a cake!

But the puck advance is part of the controls.

NePaSmoKer

dcw1

Right on the puck advance.  My brother-in-law said the same thing and he has a digital model with larger element and a PID.  I guess you risk frying everything and so re-hooking a PID won't fix a burned out puck advance control (or whatever it is called). 

And to be accurate, testing this on a non-digital smoker really doesn't answer the question.

OK, who wants to risk their puck advance controls? :)

How much does a replacement control box (the thing with the pucks stacked) on a digital smoker cost?  There are a bunch of views on this thread.  I am sure there are some duplicates.  But let's say there are 100 people watching this.  If everyone kicked in $2-$3 into a Paypal account, someone with a higher wattage element already installed could buy a replacement box and test this out, and post a report with pictures.

NePaSmoKer

750w
2 Years
0 issues

I traded my 1000w 6 rack to 10.5. Again 0 issues

Now to bake a cake and drink more nepas coolaid

dcw1

I misread NePaSmoKer. So it can be done using a 750-watt element without a PID and without problems to the controls.  That is using a digital control box, correct?

Wow, I expect to see a bunch of used PIDs on ebay and Craigslist shortly. :)

STLstyle

You can see Nepas Auber in the pic if I'm not mistaken...  Looks like PID is in use. 

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

dcw1

NePaSmoKer---clarification please???

STLstyle is questioning whether you are using a PID because of your picture. 

Personally, I think it is a weather radio but I may be wrong.

ragweed

Re-read the posts.  When asked "Do you run that element without a PID", NePas said, "No'.

dcw1

OK.  What gives?? The issue is can you replace the original 500-watt element with a 750-watt element and still use the digital controls.

NePaSmoKer please clarify your post.  If you are using a PID, what does the "0 issues" mean?  I believe it has been established that one can change to 900-watt (or 2 500-watt) element without problems when using a PID.

Again, the question is can the original digital controls, including the puck handler, handle the higher wattage element without a PID?

Saber 4

Quote from: dcw1 on January 03, 2014, 08:41:06 AM
Right on the puck advance.  My brother-in-law said the same thing and he has a digital model with larger element and a PID.  I guess you risk frying everything and so re-hooking a PID won't fix a burned out puck advance control (or whatever it is called). 

And to be accurate, testing this on a non-digital smoker really doesn't answer the question.

OK, who wants to risk their puck advance controls? :)

How much does a replacement control box (the thing with the pucks stacked) on a digital smoker cost?  There are a bunch of views on this thread.  I am sure there are some duplicates.  But let's say there are 100 people watching this.  If everyone kicked in $2-$3 into a Paypal account, someone with a higher wattage element already installed could buy a replacement box and test this out, and post a report with pictures.

The non digital replacement smoke generator is about $170 at Cabela's and I don't know how much more the digital is to replace, that being said, you seem to be the one most interested in attempting this so in all sincerity I would suggest you look for a used smoke generator on Craigslist or somewhere and test it out and satisfy your own curiosity. I'm not so sure that the number of views is indicative of a large number of people wanting to know the answer or if they are just curious to see how this thread plays out. 

Wildcat

Nicely put Saber 4.

He does seem to be the one with the most interest. I am just watching to see how it plays out myself.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

dcw1

Right, the number of views in NOT indicative of interest----- it is indicative of non-interest.  Thank you for pointing out I am the only one interested in this.  Once again, postings that have nothing to do with the topic but attack me, my motives, or point out what you don't care about.

Please keep your comments to yourself if you have to say something about me.

Saber 4, keep reading, maybe you'll learn something.

NePaSmoKer, thank you for your clouding the waters and failing to clarify.  Perhaps this thread should be shut down rather than you clarifying your posts.  Good grief!

Saber 4

dcw1,

I did my best to try to get my point across to you without being insulting or rude, I don't understand your apparent need to take things out of context and reply in the negative, I did not, I repeat did not say that the number of views did not indicate non interest (your words) I simply stated that it may not indicate that all views were interested in your scheme and that some may just be interested in seeing if you replied as you just did. The number of views is simply a recording of how many times someone has looked not how many people have looked, there may only be 10-15 people of thousands on the forum looking and re-looking at this post.

If you are going to post suggestions, then you should be open to any dialogue offered to your positions as you stated previously when complaining about "censorship"

As for NePa's failure to clarify in your opinion, I will grant you that his reply got buried in the middle of a quote making it a little difficult to spot at first but it is a clear "no" to your question of whether he used a PID or not with his 750 watt digital smoker.

renoman

dcw1, Calm down or you will get this thread shut down as well. If some can find me a source for a 750 watt element I will put it in as soon as I can get my hands on it. The source has to ship to Canada without a charge that is more than a new generator.