smoker enclosure heat question

Started by weazel, January 06, 2014, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weazel

Hey guys, seen everyone using those suncast "tool sheds" as enclosures for their smokers and was wondering what kind of heat they have coming off of the enclosure.  I want to keep it as close to the outlet as possible and that would mean I have to put the shed up against my house which is vinyl siding, and I definitely don't want to be melting that stuff.

Saber 4

Other than the exhaust vent you shouldn't have any real heat coming off the exterior of your cabinet, they are insulated between the inner and outer walls. At 230 I can rest my hands on the outside of my cabinet. Of course you will need to make sure you have the water bowl full, make sure the drain hole is open on the V tray and no meat is touching the sides of the smoker to prevent a grease fire in the cabinet that could go to the house. I keep mine on a rolling cart so I can roll it into the yard if it ever did catch fire, which is pretty rare as I understand it.

pondee

I've been looking at the 7x3 suncast shed for my Bradley, The Big Easy and required supplies.  I don't think they it has an eave vent so it should be vented through the roof near the peak, no?

beefmann

i have been using my  sun cast  shed  to house my  smoker for over 4 years now  with no problems from the heat of the smoker,  just be sure you vent the  smoker.  Also putting it amenest the  house  may  not be the  best  idea as it  will discolor the paint  / stucco / wood from the  smoke.. I do under stand your  desire to have it close to the plug ..  just take everything into consideration before doing so

GusRobin

Quote from: pondee on January 07, 2014, 04:55:37 AM
I've been looking at the 7x3 suncast shed for my Bradley, The Big Easy and required supplies.  I don't think they it has an eave vent so it should be vented through the roof near the peak, no?
The Bradley should be ok since as others have said, the outside does not get that hot. I don't have a Big Easy, but do have the SRG version. The outside of my Srg gets pretty hot so I am not sure about using it inside the suncast shed. Others may have more experience with it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pondee

Quote from: GusRobin on January 07, 2014, 08:38:32 AM
Quote from: pondee on January 07, 2014, 04:55:37 AM
The Bradley should be ok since as others have said, the outside does not get that hot. I don't have a Big Easy, but do have the SRG version. The outside of my Srg gets pretty hot so I am not sure about using it inside the suncast shed. Others may have more experience with it.

The Big Easy would only be stored in the shed.  It would be taken out while in use.

tskeeter

I use a plastic shed as my smoker house.  Heat has been no problem.  I vented through the roof.  Bad idea.  Was kind of a bugger to get the roof sealed so I didn't get water on top of the smoker each time it rained.  I did cut the vent hole to allow for about an inch of air space all around the stove pipe, to ensure that heat wouldn't be a problem.  Although, I think the ignition point of paper is a bit over 400 degrees, so having a stove pipe attached to a device that tops out at about 275 degrees doesn't seem like it should be much of an issue with plastic.  Even with direct contact between the plastic and the stove pipe, which probably would be in the 250 degree range at the roof penetration.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably try to vent my smoker through one of the walls of the shed.  To avoid the hassle with sealing up the roof.  But, if I was committed to going through the roof, I'd plan for installing metal flashing as I assembled the roof structure, to help shed water from the peak and over the top of the flange on the roof boot around the stove pipe.

A couple of issues to consider when putting your smoker house against your house.  Wind patterns around your house can cause down drafts on top of your smoker house that might prevent your smoker from drawing properly.  I believe that the recommendation is that the top of your stack be at least three feet away from and higher than the nearest structure.  I'd consider the edge of the structure to be a vertical line dropped from the outside edge of your overhang.  So, the closer your shed sits to the house, the higher your stovepipe should run, or the further out on the shed your stovepipe should be installed.  While the numbers I've mentioned are not exactly accurate, I think they should serve to illustrate my point.  Putting the shed against the house can create some venting issues you want to consider.

Another thing to consider is fire risk.  Our local fire code requires that all garden sheds be at least 18 inches away from the house.  The reason for this is so you don't have a burning garden shed under the eaves of the house roof, which will catch the house on fire.  Considering that in a smoker you have a heat source and melting grease, the probability of catching your smoker shed on fire is higher than if the same shed is used to store rakes, shovels, and wheel barrows. 

pondee

For venting, I was thinking about cutting a hole near the peak of the roof, in the front wall (gable) and placing a dryer vent, sans the little flaper thingy.  The smoke rises in the shed up the roof line and exits through the hole in the gable end near the peak of the roof.  The dryer vent keeps any rain out.  Keeping the shed door open, even just a little,  should allow plenty of air flow in the shed but still keep the smoker out of any hard direct wind. No?

Snoopy

if you want it away from the house a little bit, i picked up a 6 foot appliance extension cord from home depot and have had no issues with power in the unit.

cathouse willy

I have run my original bradley in a rubbermaid cabinet with no external vent for several years now with little smoke residue.As far as the extension cords go I'm going to fly in the face of popular belief here and say... the total wattage of an original black bradley smoker is 750 watts... easily handled by a 25 ft 16 gauge extension with little or no voltage drop. Keep it out of the wind and insulate  it as best you can. wrap the smoker cabinet with foil insulation and you're good for cooold weather smoking

TedEbear

Quote from: cathouse willy on January 07, 2014, 09:55:05 PMAs far as the extension cords go I'm going to fly in the face of popular belief here and say... the total wattage of an original black bradley smoker is 750 watts... easily handled by a 25 ft 16 gauge extension with little or no voltage drop.

You might read the thread in the link below.  Also, the OBS is 625W (500W element + 125W hotplate).

Extension Cords - what is enough?

renoman

The extension cord may only be an issue if the receptacle you are plugging into is a long ways away from your electrical panel. You could easily have a 50 ft. run of 14/2 wire before you even plug in. Even more if you are out in your garage.

manfromplaid

i also use a plastic shed. i cut a hole and installed a RV vent. works great just close it to keep out the rain

Snoopy

You could get an rv vent cover and leave it open all the time. threw one on my travel trailer and rarely ever close the bathroom vent just to help with condensation build up. will be keeping the vent idea in mind though.

Darrin Pape

I am new with a 4 rack digital and live in Maryland.  I read in the instructions not to get the unit wet with rain. This let my search for enclosures.  First please confirm, this 4 rack can not get wet.  This leaves out getting a grill gazebo. I want to this right from the start. Please offer your advice.