First Cheese smoke done.

Started by Beekeeper, January 19, 2014, 08:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

For optimum color, 80 is good I hear.  That's what I did and I got nice color after blooming...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

devo

Your cheese will get softer which will allow it to take on more color. Will it make a difference, maybe but I have done both and have not notice much difference in taste. I do like when it takes on that brownish looking appearance though that you get from smoking in the 80-90 degree range. 

RedJada

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on January 23, 2014, 12:09:46 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I've read about guys putting in some ice or freezer packs to keep the temp down while cold smoking. If it works and keeps you smoking cheese through the summer, why not!

In the summer here in NE Ohio, I'll put a 10lb block of ice on the bottom shelf. Works pretty good. If temps still creep up, I'll crack the door about a 1/4 inch.

ragweed

I've only done cheese once where the tower temp was below 80* F.  I have to wait another few weeks to be able to tell if it tastes different.  Like Devo though, I like the color it takes on at temps above 80* F.

Smokesmore

RedJada... The higher temps make for nice color. Haven't tried any cheese in the BDS but from experience, a little heat helps coloring.

Smoke is not a clear sent. You want and need coloring. Unless I've been doing it wrong for 10 years. Some of these guys know their stuff. Listen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BoxcarBetts

I don't recall what my temp was when I smoked my cheese, but it was enough to soften the Monterey Jack to the point where it sagged through the grate a bit. Both took on a real nice colour. I cold smoked mine with the tower unplugged and that was it. Only the heat from the smoke generator was going.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

RedJada

Quote from: Smokesmore on January 23, 2014, 09:07:05 PM
RedJada... The higher temps make for nice color. Haven't tried any cheese in the BDS but from experience, a little heat helps coloring.

Smoke is not a clear sent. You want and need coloring. Unless I've been doing it wrong for 10 years. Some of these guys know their stuff. Listen.

Guess I should have mentioned that I don't have the cold smoke attachment. I just use the SG, so in warmer temps I can hit 120-150 pretty easy with just that. But I do agree on the 80-90 degree thing. I usually like to hover right around there.

Smokesmore

Quote from: RedJada on January 24, 2014, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: Smokesmore on January 23, 2014, 09:07:05 PM

Guess I should have mentioned that I don't have the cold smoke attachment. I just use the SG, so in warmer temps I can hit 120-150 pretty easy with just that. But I do agree on the 80-90 degree thing. I usually like to hover right around there.

All this talk about cheese is making me hungry. We are in a blizzard warning... sounds like cold smoking weather.