Puck advance system

Started by renoman, January 07, 2014, 03:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 09, 2014, 07:33:27 AM
Quote from: renoman on January 09, 2014, 06:41:34 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2014, 01:24:20 AM
Though each time you push the advance button, the timer resets to zero.

That is something I did not know.

The digital doesn't reset when the advance button is pushed it stays on track with the display timer, at least mine does.....

I should clarify my statement. The timer I am talking about is the 20 minute timer that is reset to zero.

Renoman;

It is the motor position that can be adjusted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

renoman

If a picture is worth a thousand words then a video is worth a million. Here it is. Make sure to turn the volume up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLvDqe2wLRw&feature=youtu.be

renoman

Sorry about the end of that video. It was my first YouTube upload. ;D  Didn't mean to take you on a tour of my office.

I fixed it!

Saber 4

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2014, 12:50:07 PM

The digital doesn't reset when the advance button is pushed it stays on track with the display timer, at least mine does.....

I should clarify my statement. The timer I am talking about is the 20 minute timer that is reset to zero.

I guess I need to clarify my statement also, when I referred to "digital" I meant the smoker model and not the digital display, when I have a missed puck advance in mid 20 minute cycle and push the wood advance button the next puck advances when the digital display finishes counting down the 20 minute cycle it was in the middle of not 20 minutes after pushing the advance button.

renoman, in the FAQ section on "continuously advancing pucks is a section that explains why the motor changes direction and how to correct it if the SG doesn't auto correct itself.

renoman

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 09, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2014, 12:50:07 PM

I guess I need to clarify my statement also, when I referred to "digital" I meant the smoker model and not the digital display, when I have a missed puck advance in mid 20 minute cycle and push the wood advance button the next puck advances when the digital display finishes counting down the 20 minute cycle it was in the middle of not 20 minutes after pushing the advance button.

renoman, in the FAQ section on "continuously advancing pucks is a section that explains why the motor changes direction and how to correct it if the SG doesn't auto correct itself.

I am not sure if I have the right FAQ that you are referring to but I did pull the plug in the middle of the puck advance cycle and it did nothing to help this situation.

Saber 4

Sounds like you were looking at the same thing I saw, sorry it didn't help, I remembered reading it but haven't had a need to try it on mine.

renoman

I guess I am going to have to send this YouTube link to Bradley support. I am getting a bit frustrated by this as my smoker is now a babysit appliance as it sits now. I have been an avid reader of these forums but just today read the other than "digital" forums and can not believe that the same problems are happening with all of the smokers. I thought I was just a sucker to bite on the digital. The puck advance issue is wide spread. There doesn't seem to be a definite answer to the problem. Should people that buy these smokers be advised to pull them apart and fix them themselves? I know Bradley monitors this forum but where are they? I have posted a YouTube video of my problem that seems to be quite common and there is no peep from them. I think they know there is a big problem but are dragging their asses on this issue. I am not impressed.

renoman

I read on the other forum to pull the SG, add the Auber PID, and the Amazn smoker tube and smoke on. Great idea to turn your 550.00 cabinet into a reliable smoker.

KyNola

I sincerely wish I could help you further Renoman.  Apparently my suggestions were without merit so I deleted all of them in deference to others.   

Please contact Brian directly at Bradley.  He will take care of you.

As for continuing to badmouth Bradley on their Forum and then going to ask them for help? Might not be your best tactic because as you said "they monitor this forum".

Habanero Smoker

Watching the video, I go back to adjusting the motor. It looks like the armature is hitting the micro switch housing. If you back the motor off, that may solve the problem.
Bisquettes Continuously Feeding

I believe the other FAQ being referred to is the link below. This would work for some, but not for others. But from your video, it looks like an alignment problem.
Bisquettes Not Properly Advancing

Saber4;
Thanks for your clarification.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

renoman

I am not trying to bad mouth Bradley. I am just frustrated that I have a smoker that is pretty much useless right now. Believe me I would rather be posting pictures of smoked meat than videos of my malfunctioning smoker. I have tried all of the suggestions on the FAQ pages and have determined that the motor arm is not hitting the switch housing. I will fiddle with the motor alignment and see if that will fix it. That is my last hope and I will contact Bradley if that doesn't work.

Saber 4

I have had a similar issue and after I went through the troubleshooting/cleaning steps and it was still intermittent I gave Betsy in CS a call and she confirmed that the micro switch is probably going out and she is sending me a new one today.

Habanero Smoker

I had a chance to review your video again. What is causing that occasional rubbing sound. It seems to only happen when the arm is out of camera view.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

renoman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 10, 2014, 01:12:26 PM
I had a chance to review your video again. What is causing that occasional rubbing sound. It seems to only happen when the arm is out of camera view.

That is a good question. I did not notice that sound when I made the video but it is obvious something is rubbing. I will investigate further.

Saber 4

Quote from: renoman on January 10, 2014, 02:16:17 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 10, 2014, 01:12:26 PM

That is a good question. I did not notice that sound when I made the video but it is obvious something is rubbing. I will investigate further.

It sounds like the rubbing is coming from the puck advance plate rubbing on the track it rides in.