Crockpot Pulled Pork

Started by Dano, January 08, 2014, 06:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Hi everyone,

Since Superbowl 48 is just around the corner I thought I'd share this classic pulled pork recipe.  It's in this section because I actually haven't tried smoking the pork shoulder yet but if someone does try smoking it out first do let me know how it goes (with instructions please!)

This is my game day, Superbowl, or any day I'm lazy and want to use the slow cooker because it's cold outside pulled pork recipe. 

Get a 4lb pork shoulder – trim fat
Rough chop one large yellow onion, add to crockpot
Add 2 bay leaves
Add a small handful of whole black peppercorns(6-8)
Add pork shoulder
Fill crock with root beer (never use diet!) to just cover the shoulder.  Can use Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper also but I like the licorice flavour of root beer.
Simmer on low for 8 hours

Drain crockpot, discard onions/pepper, pop
Pull pork with 2 serving forks
Add back to crock with bbq sauce of your choice(I like sweet baby rays) - usually takes a couple bottles.  Can also try blending sauces too!
Mix pork well with sauce
Simmer on low for another 2 hours

Serve over poutine, on buns, as sliders or however you like.  I find slider bunds with a hot banana pepper or some mustard on the bun and if you're adventurous, fry up some onion rings and add one of those too, works really well!

Enjoy!

Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Smoker John

Sounds like a terrific recipe, thanks for sharing
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

smoke em if you got em

That sounds good. I might give it a try this weekend.

Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

rigstar

this is the way I do all my pulled pork now, I did my first few all in the smoker to varing degrees of success (which is measured by the boss and the kids), now I finish it all the time in the crockpot and haven't had any single complaints now that I do it this way
I actually use a rib rub http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
I coat the shoulders,butts(whatever I am using) with mustard then a liberal coating of meatheads Memphis dust
and refridge overnight
put in the smoker for 4 hrs with smoke (sometimes it ends up in there for 5 or 6 but only 4 with smoke)
then transfer to a crockpot on low for approx. 8 hrs. ( I have gone as low as 6 and high as 10 hrs with no noticeable difference in tenderness) but now I have one with a timer so it automatically switches to warm after 8 hrs.
the pieces I usually use are in the 4-6lb range
once in the crockpot I make up the following and pour over the butts and forget about them for 8 hrs.
apple cider vinegar
fancy molasses
Dijon mustard
worchestire sauce
Heinz ketchup
and a couple of other things I can't remember right now, it makes a great sauce after being in with the smoked
pork for 8 hrs
pics are just prior to putting in the crockpot, these were for the families potluck dinner over x-mas this year

either your in, or your in the f***ing way

beefmann