Dry Curing

Started by Northern_Smoke, January 03, 2014, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

I decided it was time to try some dry cured sausage from the Umai Kit I bought. I got a Genoa salumi recipe and basic Italian salumi recipe and mixed up 2.5 pounds of each for my first try. While I was at it I also thought about doing 2 Lonzino's. I had 2 small cuts of pork from the shoulder which are not the proper cuts but I wasn't sure which flavor we would like so these are flavor only tests. For the lonzino, I used one recipe from Jason Molinari and one from Len Poli.

The sasuage was done first and momma wasn't too happy about raw meet hanging in her kitchen for 3 days so I can only hope it tastes amazing enough that she forgets/forgives those first 3 days.

I sealed the Umai bags into 2 separate tubes like they say on the site. One thing I learned is that I did not get the 2 tubes I made even so I had one wider sausage and one longer and narrower. I think the next time I would almost make 3 tubes of out each bag...oh well, live and learn.

As you can see in the pictures that when I split the bags in half, I did not get them even. I am hoping that the thicker ones don't have too much case hardening.

And for the lonzino, I had one small piece that I trimmed from a bigger piece. The good thing is they should dry quicker with their smaller size so I will be able to taste them sooner :)

And Thanks to GusRobin for the spreadsheet for tracking the drying progress.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Saber 4

Looks cool, I'll have to give this a try one day when I have enough space.

Northern_Smoke

I was lucky enough to get a free newer fridge a few years ago from a friend who worked for a reno company so that has been my beer/meat fridge. But as of lately it has had much more meat in it and a lot less beer. If dry curing works out with the bags I may make the jump to an actual dry cure fridge.

Saber 4

Next week I'm supposed to get my 12x12 building moved so I can start working on turning it into a smoker/processing room. Then I'll be able to look for a spare fridge to start on the dry curing and stuff that requires extra fridge space. There's a possibility that I may end up with the old fridge from my grandmother's house from the 50's that was a side by side upper cabinet unit with 2 fridge compartments and a freezer compartment.

Northern_Smoke

That sounds awesome. I don't want to get too involved in dry curing right now because we are building a new house and I don't have the area established for the meat processing. So for now the dry cure bags will work well.

Northern_Smoke

Well everything seems to be drying like it should be. I did put a humidifier on a timer in the fridge to see if I could do away with the case hardening I got the last time I tried a Brasaola.

Anyways, the big looser was the Len Poli Lonzino recipe but it was no shock since I started with a very small cut of meat to surface area. I should be cutting into that one next week if it keeps dropping weight at the rate it has been.